Friday, October 09, 2020

KettlePop Popcorn

You may have noticed that I kinda adore snack foods, popcorn in particular.  Kettle corn and decent drizzled popcorns or savory spiced popcorn are just ... my weakness.

I've tried nearly every brand popcorn I can get my hands on, including packaged varieties and microwave ones.  I've found some that I have enjoyed, but none live up to the amazing Kettle Corn I found at the farmer's market in my hometown in New Hampshire.  Seriously, best. stuff. ever.  I've been known to stuff my suitcase with it when I return from visiting my family.  Or, um, check an extra suitcase full.  My mom, who might be a bit crazier than me, may or may not be known for sending me bags of it in the mail.  I'm sure the postage costs more than the popcorn itself.  Ridiculous, but ZOMG, I'm not really going to criticize her for it!
"Taste the flavor of our gourmet popcorn that is specially prepared over a fire burning kettle and cooked to perfection. It’s simply delicious."
Anyway, today's popcorn review is a packaged version, but made in small batches by a local Bay Area retailer: KettlePop.  They, like many, got their start at local farmer's markets.  Their popcorn is organic, non-GMO, they take pride in their sourcing, etc, etc if that matters to you.

KettlePop's signature flavor is kettle corn, but they also make a simple sea salt version.  They used to make a few others, including cheese, caramel, and chocolate drizzled, but alas, now it is just the two simple flavors. 

It isn't as good as fresh kettle corn, but it is better than a lot of the pre-popped varieties I've tried.
Individual Bag: Sea salt.
The popcorn is sold in 3 bag sizes, individual ones like this, or medium or larger share bags.

Organic Sea Salt Popcorn: 
I started with the basic sea salt.  It was ... fairly generic salty popcorn.  Not much to say here.  It ... wasn't stale, tasted relatively fresh, and had plenty of salt.  Very salty.  

But bo-ring, at least to me.  Like I said, I want decadent dessert popcorn, or if savory, it needs spices!  Or cheese.  Or something.

Organic Kettle Corn: 

This is not the best kettle corn out there, but it is a good mix of sweet and salty. Their abundant use of salt really helped.  The kernels weren't particularly well coated in sweet stuff though, at least, not quite as much as I'd like.

I give it a solid "not bad, but not great either".  Not worth going out of the way for it, but, it was good enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails