Friday, March 10, 2017

Gaslamp Popcorn Co

If you haven't noticed, I'm obsessed with popcorn.  Flavored, coated popcorn to be exact.  And, uh, usually, frozen popcorn (seriously, try it, it gets so crunchy!)  So when I was at an event with bags of a brand of popcorn I hadn't seen before, Gaslamp Popcorn, I gleefully grabbed some.

I did my research afterwards.  Gaslamp turns out to be a California manufacturer, and they make 5 flavors of popcorn: the classics (salted, white cheddar, and kettle corn), plus cinnamon caramel corn, and "Malibu Mix", which has the kettle corn, sea salt, and white cheddar all in one (sweet, salty, and cheesy).  None of these flavors are particularly exotic.  The popcorn is all made from non-GMO corn and all flavors are gluten-free.

The event only had two varieties, and sadly not the Malibu Mix.  I tried both, and they were just too plain for my taste.
Sea Salt & Olive Oil.
"Our California made Sea Salt & Olive Oil popcorn is the newest addition to the Gaslamp Popcorn family. Each small batch of gourmet popcorn is made using authentic California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is non-GMO Project verified, and has only 37 calories per cup. Wow! A flavored popcorn never gave you so much taste for so little!"

The first flavor I tried was very basic: sea salt and olive oil.  The olive oil was a really nice touch, and made the flavor a bit more complex than standard butter popcorn.

This was still fairly plain popcorn (I'm more into decadent popcorn, smothered in white chocolate, caramel, and the like), but I'll admit that it was nicely done for what it was.
Kettle Corn.
"Our sweet & salty Kettle Corn popcorn is made in small batches to ensure that every handful is popped and sweetened to perfection. We use only ingredients like pure cane sugar and sea salt, to make this gluten-free snack. It's how we turn popcorn fans into fanatics!"

Next I moved on to one of my favorites, kettle corn.  (Side story: I'm absolutely obsessed with kettle corn from a booth at the farmer's market in my hometown.  My mom stockpiles it for me - in the freezer, where it stays fresh - and I always bring back a suitcase full whenever I visit.  I'm not joking).

Anyway, this kettle corn was ... less exciting.  It was what I'd describe as a "light" offering.  Both the salt and sweet components were just muted, noticeable, but just barely.  I really wanted ... more ooph.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails