Thursday, October 28, 2021

Chewy's Bakery

Chewy's is a well known jewish bakery in San Diego, specializing in rugulach.
"Chewy’s Rugulach and Hamentashen are made by hand, with carefully selected ingredients, following an ancient and traditional recipe. No need to remember how to say it, or how to spell it, simply bite into Chewy’s and be taken away by the various flavors of your choice. One bite and you will know where Chewy’s quote, "The Best You've Ever Tasted," came from."
Chewy's makes exactly two items, both traditional Jewish desserts: rugulach and hamentashen.  Nothing else, although both are available in an assortment of varieties.  They have been in business for 32 years, selling only two items, so, clearly, they must do it well.  I can't claim to be an expert in Jewish pastries, only having had them a few times in my life, but, Chewy's impressed.

Core to Chewy's business is the dedication to quality ingredients, with nothing artificial (no preservatives, no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial flavors or colors, etc), use fresh local butter, non-GMO sugar, local California walnuts, etc.

Rugulach

Chewy's makes ... 21 flavors of rugulach.  Yes, really.  21 flavors!

These range from classics like raspberry, chocolate, and cinnamon walnut, to more exotic ones like boysenberry or uh, cappuccino.  They are available in a number of box sizes, and are shelf stable for 14 days (30 in fridge).
 Raspberry Rugulach.
"A traditional Jewish finger pastry with flakey dough made from butter cream cheese and flour filled with raspberry."

We started with a fairly standard variety: raspberry.

These were good.

The pastry was fantastic, crisp, fresh, flaky.  Just really nicely done pastry, the butter and cream cheese mix certainly worked wonders.  I loved the generous cinnamon and sugar coating.  The crumble on top was an excellent bonus.

Inside was the surprise.  I wondered about "raspberry" when all I saw was nuts, crumble, and cinnamon, but indeed, amongst all the chopped walnuts and folds of pastry was raspberry preserves.  The fruity nature was a bit odd for me, a strange combo with the nuts and cinnamon to be honest, but I kinda liked it.  It came through the most on the finish.

I think I'd likely prefer the plain, apricot, and chocolate versions, but this had enough good elements that I didn't mind the raspberry that much.

***+.
Chocolate Rugulach.
"A traditional Jewish finger pastry with flakey dough made from butter cream cheese and flour filled with chocolate."

I was pretty excited when I was able to try the chocolate one soon after.

However, it let me down.

I thought that it too would have the nut mix that I liked so much, but, it didn't.  The filling was just chocolate and ... mush.  It was fine chocolate, but not very dark nor intense.  And I wanted crunch.  And the pastry wasn't crisp.

Sadness.

**+.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails