Thursday, April 11, 2024

Galaxy Desserts

Galaxy Desserts is yet another wholesale bakery, that I've been able to order from over the years for my group at work.  The company is a bit interesting, as it is based in France ... and Richmond, CA.  It actually started as a small boulangerie in France in 1936, and has clearly expanded into a worldwide presence.  They are also known as Brioche Pasquier, the operating name in France.  Like most wholesale bakeries however, you are unlikely familiar with either brand name, as they distribute primarily to foodservice operators, and you just find the anonymous goodies at cafes or buffets.

Galaxy Desserts bakes three categories of goods: brioche, croissants, and frozen desserts, although I've only had the later.

Tarts

"Our French-inspired tarts with American flavors are the perfect dessert solution. Made with only the finest ingredients: 100% butter shortcrust and flavor-bursting fillings."

Tarts are available in 4 varieties: pecan, lemon, key lime, and creme filled, all of which use the same shortcrust pastry and are hand-piped with white chocolate decoration.  All are distributed frozen, and simply need to be thawed before serving.

As I am not really into tarts (why tart when you can pie?), I've only tried one.

Lemon Tart.
"Our luscious signature lemon curd filling showcase this delightful classic in out signature shortbread crust."

This was not good.  Granted, I don't like lemon desserts usually, but this was particularly bad.

Shortbread crust can be good.  If it is sweet, buttery, decadent, interesting in any way.  This was just hard and flavorless.

The filling was lemon-y, which of course I didn't like, with a strange layer of goo on top (glaze?).  The only decent component was the white chocolate swirl, and that is only because it was not offensive, not because it was actually good.

**.

Duos

"Created to make you desperate for every last delectable bite, our Duos combine two indulgent mousses in one easy-to-serve dessert. Inspired by the best in French cuisine. Why should restaurants and bakeries have all the fun?"
While tarts may not be my thing, the Duos certainly are.  Mini pudding cups, each featuring a duo of puddings.  You know how much I love pudding!

These are also distributed frozen and just need to be defrosted to serve.  They come in little cups already, mini portions, only 100-250 calories each, perfect for trying a few, or serving as part of a big dessert buffet.

Duos are available in 4 classic combinations (double chocolate, creme caramel, cappuccino chocolate, and raspberry lemon), plus seasonal specialities like pumpkin mouse and egg nog.
Creme Caramel.
"A classic European custard on luscious caramel sauce." 

I started with the Creme Caramel.  This was shockingly good, particularly for an item I knew had been frozen and then just thawed for service.

The primary layer was a very creamy slightly thick custard.  Perhaps slightly vanilla flavored, but mostly, it tasted like, uh, "custard".  The bottom of the plastic container contained a runny sweet syrup, like the top of a flan but very liquidy.  It was intensely sweet, too sweet really, just corn syrup.  Just a touch mixed in was good, but, it was way too much, even the small portion provided.

This duo was not as good as a flan, and not as good as a creme brûlée, but, for a frozen thawed easy-serve item, it was very good.

***+.

Update: I had another, the next time it was served.  And liked it much less.  The custard was a nice texture, but really had no flavor.  And the syrup at the bottom is just way too sweet, even if you mix in only a little.  I didn't care for it much at all this time.  **+.
Cappuccino Chocolate.
"A delicate truffle mousse layered with a cappuccino mousse."

The cappuccino chocolate mousse was even better.  It really was a true mousse, the mousse layers were light and fluffy, so very creamy.  The layers didn't necessarily have a strongly distinct flavor, but, the texture was so great that I didn't care that it wasn't screaming "cappuccino" at me.

The dusting of cocoa powder and adorable chocolate covered espresso bean on top were nice garnishes.

This was only 120 calories, and yes, it wasn't huge, but it really shocked me at how reasonable it was.

****.

Updates:
I've since had this many times, and genuinely enjoy it every time.  While the top layer never seems to have much flavor, the texture of both layers is just perfect, so light and fluffy.  And the chocolate covered espresso bean on top is always a nice crunchy sweet treat.  I continue to want more of these, and absolutely cannot stop with just one.

****+, sustained awesomeness.
Double Chocolate.
"Decadent dark and milk chocolate mousse, topped with white chocolate shavings."

Next up, double chocolate.

I expected great things from the double chocolate after the success of the cappuccino chocolate, but, alas, it let me down.

Neither the dark nor light layers really tasted like much.  Texture was good, but flavor was meh.  The white chocolate shavings on top tasted waxy and plastic-like.  Not nearly as successful as the others.

**+.
Raspberry Lemon.
"Tangy raspberry mousse delicately layered with lemon mousse."

And the final regular flavor: raspberry lemon.

I tried this one mostly out of completeness, I wanted to try all 4 varieties offered.  I don't like lemon desserts generally, but, the others were so promising it inspired, me.

And ... yup, the mousse was lemon mousse.  Fluffy, light, airy, but, it tasted like lemon.  Which I did not like.

I tried hard to avoid it to reach the raspberry layer, but it was hard to get only raspberry.  That layer was very sweet, very fruity, and I'm sure if you like lemon, it would combine nicely.

Clearly not the product for me.

**.

Mousse Collection

Moving on, we have the Mousse Collection, 6 different layered individual desserts, again all just defrost and serve.  They also have a "New Mousse Collection", which features some innovative new flavors, and more complicated layers (think: the Crunchy Hazelnut Mousse Cake, with hazelnut mouse, vanilla chantilly cream, almond sponge cake, and a crunchy milk chocolate and hazelnut layer).  The regular Mousse Collection is more classic, like the Tiramisu Mousse Cake, with a base of coffee sponge cake, a layer of mascarpone mousse, and cocoa powder dusting.

I was able to try several from the original mousse collection.
Triple Chocolate Mousse.
(2018)
"A decadent dark, milk and white chocolate mousse."

The triple chocolate mousse featured a base of chocolate sponge cake, three layers of chocolate mousse, and white chocolate shavings on top.

These were basically larger forms of the Duos.  It was the dark and milk layers from the Double Chocolate Duo, just extended to Triple Chocolate with the addition of a White Chocolate layer on top, and a very thin chocolate cake layer on the bottom.

It seemed slightly more set, thicker, which I liked a bit less, and somehow this form factor was less satisfying to eat from than the cups.  Then again, I never really liked the Chocolate Duo in the first place.

**+.
Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake.
(April 2023)
"A triple chocolate delight with layers of decadent dark, milk and white chocolate mousse topped with white chocolate shavings."

"Our Triple Mousse cake is an unforgettable and elegant chocolate triple threat and a triple treat! The Triple Mousse cake crafts three layers of European dark, milk and white chocolates. The top layer of white chocolate mousse atop a milk chocolate mousse and dark chocolate mousse sitting on a luscious dark chocolate cake, then elegantly topped with delicate white chocolate shavings!"

I last had this item in 2018.   I didn't really care for it then, but, after 5 years, I figured it was worth another try.

I started with the top layer, white chocolate mousse.  It had an odd flavor, which I guess was the white chocolate, and tasted like the inside of a freezer.  I will try to give Galaxy Desserts some credit here and blame the cafe I got it from for poor storage and freezer burn? 0 stars for this layer.

The milk and dark chocolate mousses were better - nicely creamy, reasonably rich chocolate flavor.  Not outstanding, but not bad. *** for those layers

The base was a thin layer of chocolate cake, that had an odd texture.  Hard to describe, but it was cake-like, and yet kinda like compressed sand at the same time.  It tasted gluten-free, or something like that.  0 stars for this layer too.

So, if you discard the odd cake base and the awful tasting white chocolate mousse top, you could salvage a decent chocolate mousse out of this, but, overall, definitely **.
Four Seasons.
"The new Four Seasons combines a light and refreshing raspberry mousse atop a sweet tart lemon mousse sitting on a lemon zest butter sponge cake. A perfect symphony of flavors." 

The Four Seasons Mousse Cake had a lemon sponge cake base, a layer each of lemon and raspberry mousse, and a raspberry glaze on top.

Again, basically a duo, made into a cake.  Given how much I didn't like the raspberry lemon duo just because of the particular flavors, this was no different.

The raspberry and lemon mousses were both fine, fluffy, fruity, but not flavors I like.  And I really dislike pound cake, the lemon just made it worse for me.

**.

French Classics

Finally, the french classics: molten chocolate lava cake,  New York cheesecake, and crème brûlée.  Um, yes, New York cheesecake is a "french classic" to them ...  

The lava cake and crème brûlée both take some prep to serve.
Crème Brûlée.
"A velvety rich custard laced with Madagascar vanilla bean is ready for a light coating of sugar
and torch to finish off this classic dessert." 

Since I enjoyed the duos, I was really excited when I saw that Galaxy Desserts makes a crème brûlée, one of my favorite desserts.  I ordered it the first chance I got!

I was a bit sad though when I saw them.  Um.  Our catering department did not add the sugar and torch it!  Doh.

I call this, "vanilla pudding in a ramekin", not, crème brûlée as intended.  In this form, it was fairly awful, honestly.  Not thick in the way a nice pudding would be, just kinda firm, vanilla-ish custard.

I didn't have a blow torch, nor did I have proper pearl sugar, but I had Sugar in the Raw, so I tried to make actual crème brûlée.  I searched online and found two techniques to try: the broiler, or, a crazy hot spoon.
Broiled Top?
First, I did a trial with the broiler.

The broiler method didn't work.  I had my toaster oven broiler set to 500 degrees, but that cooked the custard way too much in order to get the sugar to melt.  I wound up with cooked eggs basically.  Not tasty.
Hot Spoon "Brûlée"?
Next, I did the hot spoon method, where you heat up a metal spoon as hot as possible, and use *that* to actually burn the top.  It worked slightly better I guess, it didn't cause the entire pudding to heat up, but it also didn't really create a nice layer.  I would not consider this a success either

Sigh.

**+, but hard to evaluate fairly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails