Friday, May 17, 2019

Kaleidoscope Foods

Kaleidoscope Foods is a maker of one of my favorite categories of food: snacks.  They even make one of my favorite types of snack: chips.

But ... uh ... they aren't like any others.
Our handcrafted Vegan & Bone Broth Kale Chips combine fresh, sprouted, fermented, and gently cooked ingredients for a whole spectrum of nutrition. The chip is gently dehydrated at a low temperature to lock in flavor & preserve vital digestion-supporting enzymes.
Yup, kale chips, and not only trendy kale chips, but either vegan or made with bone broth.  All gluten-free.  I tried only the bone broth based ones.

Bone Broth Kale Chips

"Our Bone Broth Kale Chips combine fresh, sprouted, fermented, and gently cooked ingredients for a whole spectrum of nutrition. The chip is gently dehydrated at a low temperature to lock in flavor & preserve vital digestion-supporting enzymes."
Once I got over my laughter at the product line, yes, bone broth kale chips, the perfect marriage of two fads, I took the time to learn a little.

I do like kale chips, and I was a little fascinated by the idea of fusing them with bone broth.
Packaging.
Kaleidoscope Foods produces 3 varieties of bone broth kale chips, each featuring a different animal bone broth (lamb, beef, or bison), and flavored in very different ways (fennel with fuji apple, sweet potato, or spicy seaweed with date, respectively).

I went for the later.  All come packaged in re-sealable bags of various sizes.  I was skeptical, so I went for the smallest size, 0.8 ounces, which contained a very tiny portion, which happened to be 1.6 servings.  The packaging was filled with information on how awesome these were going to be me for.  They promised to leave me "invigorated + powerful".  I looked forward to it.
Spicy Seaweed with Date & Bison Bone Broth Kale Chips.
"Like the wild bison who roamed the plains for millennia, this chip is blessed with an unshakeable strength. Complementing the broth are Mendocino-wildcrafted Seawhip & Seapalm Seaweeds and Medjool Dates from the Coachella Valley. The sweet, spicy, bountiful depth of this chip brings us in to ecstatic harmony with our bodies and the wild world around us.

"Our bison bone broth is brewed in house with bones from Bison Rock Ranch, a pasture based family farm out of Shasta County. The broth is simmered for days to fully extract the minerals and gelatin in the bones. These vitalizing trace minerals give us energy and a sense of true nourishment."

So, the chips.

They actually were a form I quite liked, not the airy light style, but rather fairly generous clumps, well coated in the seasoning.  They had a great mouthfeel.

But ... I really didn't care for the flavor.  The sweetness from the dates was just odd, and there was a bitterness that I think came from sunflower seeds that I didn't realize were part of the ingredient list until I looked later.

I wanted to like them.  I wanted to feel the promised ecstatic harmony.  But, alas, they just left me sad, as they were so close to being something I liked, yet, weren't.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails