Thursday, September 23, 2021

Devine Delights

As you know by now, desserts, and baked goods in general, are pretty much my favorite things to review. And by "review", you know I mean "eat".  For "research". While I certainly love local small bakeries, for my group at work, we are required to order through foodservice distributors, so I've had my share of wholesale items, like, Divine Delights.
"Divine Delights is the premium source for handmade petits fours, cakes, brownies, and shortbread cookies in the US."
The Divine Delights portfolio spans several areas, but I've only tried the petits fours.
  

Petits Fours

“Each Petits Four is a miniature multi-layered almond butter cake filled with velvety smooth truffle creams, intriguing fruit fillings, and exotic butter creams, enrobed in a rainbow of specialty chocolates for a perfect finish and to seal in the freshness.”

While Devine Delights does make other products, the petits fours are certainly their signature item.  They change seasonally, always decorated quite festively, although I've only tried the Valentine's day ones. 

Valentine's Petit Fours.
“Buzz your Valentine with our special demitasse petit four gram. 36 moist bite-sized layer cakes adorned with a rainbow of chocolate hearts and a hint of amour. Presented within this elegantly gift boxed assortment we have included: Raspberry Creme, Bittersweet Chocolate Cherry, Very Berry Strawberry, and Triple Truffle."

We had the Valentine's assortment, 4 different flavors, each decorated with hearts for the holiday. I was not sure what any particular "package" was, so I had to guess which was which.
Strawberry Vanilla? Raspberry Vanilla? Raspberry Creme? Very Berry Strawberry?
I started with the white one, not knowing which it was.   I ... still don't know which it was.  The description implies it should be Strawberry Vanilla or Raspberry Vanilla if I believe the supplier, or Raspberry Creme or Very Berry Strawberry if I believe the manufacturer.  If you were to ask me, um, I'd call it coconut almond ... berry.

The shell was very boring white chocolate, no flavor to it at all.

It had a slight hint of berry, red goo really, between the layers, but so little of it that it barely counts.  I certainly couldn't determine if it was strawberry or raspberry.  It tasted vaguely ... cherry, if I really had to claim something.

The cake was just white cake, not actually "vanilla" flavored, but, I'll go with that.  It was dry and not moist in any way.

Something tasted very strongly almond extract flavored.  I still can't tell if it was the cake, the white chocolate coating, the spread between the layers, or all of it.  But I really tasted almond extract.  Which makes sense, given that all the petit fours are made with "almond butter cake" I guess, but it overwhelmed everything.

There was an unexpected coconut flavor too, and a gritty quality like comes from coconut.  This is mentioned no where, so I'm not sure what I was tasting.

Anyway, it wasn't good, as I didn't care for the coconut almond flavor, the dry cake, nor the gritty texture.

Next I had the pink coated one, which was the other of the "Strawberry Vanilla? Raspberry Vanilla? Raspberry Creme? Very Berry Strawberry?" group.  Again, I couldn't tell.

It tasted very much the same, and I disliked it equally.

Yes, the outside coating was pink instead of white, and this one didn't have any goo filling, instead it was just a pink cream, but otherwise, it was just dry cake, and tasted like almond.  Did not like.
Chocolate Cherry Vanilla / Bittersweet Chocolate Cherry.
Then I went for a chocolate covered one, drizzled with red stripes.

I'm going to guess this is the one known as Chocolate Cherry Vanilla or Bittersweet Chocolate Cherry, although it could be the  Truffle Chocolate / Triple Truffle.

The shell was chocolate, a decent chocolate, nice snap to it.
Chocolate Cherry Vanilla / Bittersweet Chocolate Cherry: Inside.
The cake was better in this one, a bit less dry (although certainly not moist), and less strong in the almond department.

The filling between the layers was perhaps a bit thicker, but still pretty hard to taste.  I tasted more chocolate than fruit in this one, but perhaps I was just tasting the stronger chocolate shell, compared to the white chocolate before?

This was certainly better than the first one I tried, but, for me, a girl who is all about frosting to cake ratios ... um ... this was just not at all what I go for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails