Sunday, June 13, 2021

The Golden Duck Co

SnacksChips.  Some of my favorite things, as, well, I'm a bit of a snack-o-holic, a condition that developed late in my adulthood (really, I wasn't snacker growing up, nor in college, nor grad school ... I'm really not sure when it happened), and has gotten more extreme during 15 months of pandemic living at home.  I mean, what else is there to do but eat interesting snacks?

Particularly when the snacks come from aboard, bringing a glimpse into my past life of frequent traveling.  I visited Singapore twice, the last time right as the pandemic was breaking out, and absolutely adored it.  The cleanliness, the ridiculously hot weather, and, the food.  Oh the food.  Singapore is such an ultimate foodie city, for all budgets.  I adored it.  And yet, I didn't really write reviews for any of the glorious treats I had there.  I actually was doing an experiment, made a conscious decision NOT to take photos, not to take notes, not to blog, and just really, truly, enjoy my experience there.

It was Singapore that I really developed a love for salted egg yolk products, although I'd had them before in Sydney (like the salted egg yolk pork floss bun at Begong Black).  But salted egg was practically everywhere in Singapore, on chips, fries, or fish skins as the common bar snack of choice, or on popcorn (like Pop-Smile sweet egg yolk popcorn although that is from Taiwan).   But it is on potato chips that I most love it, particularly when spicy (like the glorious Shi Le Po spicy salted egg potato chips I reviewed before).

Which leads me to another salted egg product manufacturer: The Golden Duck.
"Asia's best flavours : packed, sealed, delivered."
Now this is a motto I can get behind, particularly as, well, they did indeed deliver to me, in New Hampshire of all places, while I was sadly not traveling due to the pandemic.

The Golden Duck is based in Singapore, and only sells salted egg products: fish skins, seaweed tempura, or chips.

Seaweed Tempura

The product line I was most excited for: seaweed tempura.  I like seaweed, I like tempura, and this sounded about 1000x better than a potato chip.  Seaweed tempura chips are available in several varieties, I tried two.
Single Serve Bag.
"Dangerously Addictive Seaweed Snacks."

Um, yeah.  "Dangerously addictive" does not even begin to describe these.  This single serve bag is barely a single serve.  You can scarf this down in ... 5 seconds.  Literally.  It took all I could to do not to devour the bag in under a minute, lick it clean, and grab another.

To be fair though, these bags really aren't very full ...

While I loved the sound of the Chilli Crab version, I couldn't resist starting classic with salted egg.
 Singapore Salted Egg Crab Seaweed Tempura
"The pleasing graininess of our famous salted-egg yolks balances perfectly with  light, tempura-battered roasted seaweed, created and prepared with all the magic of our kitchens.

This journey is an ocean of flavours – the sweetness of real crab (yes, real crab meat), slightly smoky seaweed, and the rich umami of a salted Egg finish. Mmm.."

So what do you get when you coat seaweed in tempura batter made with salted egg yolk and crabmeat (yes, real crab meat), add in curry leaves and dried chilli, and fry it?  DELICIOUSNESS.

Seriously, ZOMG SO GOOD.  It is hard to calm down enough to write this review.

The manufacturer says they have the following "flavor notes":
  • Rich and creamy - an umami bomb
  • Underlying notes of the sea
  • Roasted seaweed
  • A hint of spice
The pieces were so, so crispy.  Greasy, so greasy, but in all the right ways.  The crunch factor, the "this is horrible for me factor", both sky high.  Flavor through the roof.  Yes, umami bombs, as promised.  Yes, "underlying notes of the sea" from the seaweed.

I also loved the assortment of (all large) pieces, some folded over for even more goodness.

<3.  Just a pure delight to eat.  No more needs to be said.  Incredible.  

****.
Singapore Chili Crab Seaweed Tempura.
"Chilli Crab on Seaweed Tempura Crisps."

"It’s all a question of balance – between the sweetness of crab meat, the warm spiciness of the chilli and the smokiness of roast seaweed. 

Crunch through the crisp tempura coating and an incredible mix of flavour explodes on your tongue."

Next up, the chili crab version.  Here the manufacturer promises:
  • Sweet, salty, mildly spicy - like a girl you once knew
  • Underlying notes of the sea - real crab meat!
  • Roasted seaweed
  • Mellow tomato base notes
I thought that I would adore these, but, it turned out, they had too much "funk" for me.  Or something.  Maybe I didn't like the tomato base?  There was just something actually off putting in the aftertaste in particular that didn't do it for me.  I never found myself wanting a handful.

I used them crushed up on top of salads for a little seasoning/crunch, and they worked fine like that, but I wouldn't get again.

**+.

Potato Chips

"How do you get to potato chip heaven?

Start with real ingredients, naturally. We use salted-egg yolks cured to the hue of a golden sunset. We then systematically slice each potato to get the perfect ridged cut - the rhythmic rise and fall of every groove holding on to the richest bits of the taste you love.

Each crunch is a satisfying explosion of flavours - the graininess of real salted eggs, a hint of curry leaves, and a dab of spice. Truly divine."

If seaweed isn't your thing, you can go for the less "scary" potato chip option.  

Salted Egg Yolk Potato Ridges.
"We use salted-egg yolks cured to the hue of a golden sunset. We then systematically slice each potato to get the perfect ridged cut - the rhythmic rise and fall of every groove holding on to the richest bits of the taste you love.

Each crunch is a satisfying explosion of flavours - the graininess of real salted eggs, a hint of curry leaves and a dab of spice."

The chips certainly didn't really look like your average potato chip however.  I'm sure they still a bit intimidating to some.  Good sized chips, nice ridges, and very well coated in seasoning.  Not too greasy. Little bits of curry leaves found mixed throughout.

The manufacturer promised the following "flavor notes":
  • Rich, yet light - like Prince William as a baby
  • Fragrant curry leaves
  • Medium saltiness, lightly sweet
  • A hint of spice!
Um.  I don't know about the Price William part.  I can agree that they were medium salty and lightly sweet, and just a hint of spicing/heat when you got a curry leaf.  But mostly, they were just a really decent strong salted egg flavor.  

If you like potato chips, particularly ridged chips, and you like salted egg yolk, these are a solid choice.  Nothing particularly remarkable, but well coated, no question.

***.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails