Thursday, June 02, 2022

Schöller Baked Goods, Germany

When I travel, although yes, I seek out desserts and baked goods galore, foodservice brands aren't generally the ones I seek out.  But during my recent trip to Munich, I discovered Schöller, a frozen baked goods (and ice cream!), distributor that my office used for catering and other desserts.
"Schoeller baked goods... is the home of high quality, high-quality optics and sophisticated recipes, for which our baked goods are known."

The items I tried really did look great, so Schöller's claim to "high-quality optics" really did seem true.  Sadly, most were mediocre and below average, even for mass produced frozen baked goods.

Donauwelle.

"Light and dark sponge with embedded sour cherries, covered in light cream. decorated with a hand-combed cocoa-based glaze."

The first item I tried was the Donauwelle.

This was actually pretty decent.  Moist vanilla and chocolate marble cake, loaded with sweet stewed cherries, a icing/whipped cream layer that was sweet and fluffy, chocolate ganache on top.

Not amazing, but decent for a frozen item, and in particular, I really liked the topping and cherries.

***.
Sachertorte.
"Chocolate cake made from Sachermasse with apricot preparation and cocoa sugar icing."

Next up, classic Sachertorte.  It didn't actually look that good, a bit dry even from the looks, but, I figured when in Germany, I should at least try it (although I think it is Austrian?).

It was ... ok.  Chocolate cake, not notable in any way.  Thin layer of apricot preserves in the middle.  Chocolate icing.  

It wasn't particularly chocolately, particularly rich, or really, particularly good.  Kinda dry, one note, and I wanted at least a big dollop of whipped cream with it.

**+.
Vegan Apple Pie.
"Shortcrust pastry base with apple filling and apple slices, powdered with sugar and cinnamon mix, glazed cake glaze and decorated with roasted almonds"

Schoeller baked goods makes a number of different apple pies, such as the "premium" with sultanas in it and almond slivers on top, another one without sultanas but decorated with golden butter crumbles, and another double crusted one also with sultanas.  My version didn't have sultanas, but did have almond slivers on top.  It was also vegan.  Basically, the last one I would have selected!

It wasn't good.  The crust was soft and actually tasted gluten-free, if you know what I mean.  Kinda odd texture and like sawdust.  I was saddened by this, as I do love a good, buttery crust.

The filling was equally disappointing.   It was filled generously with apple slices, and the apples weren't too soft or mushy, and did have a decent bite to them.  But they weren't really seasoned/spiced at all, the binding around them was equally flavorless, and although I could see a little cinnamon on top, I didn't taste it.

So basically, kinda flavorless apple filling, sawdust crust.  I had a number of mediocre apple desserts during my trip, but this was the bottom of the barrel.

*.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails