Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Waffling Leftovers: Ravioli in Parmesan Cream Sauce

Today's waffling leftovers adventure was inspired by my past successes with pasta dishes, like lasagna, cheesy pasta, tuna noodle casserole, and of course, mac and cheese.

Unfortunately, this story doesn't end quite as well, mostly (entirely?), my fault.
Wild Mushroom Ravioli with Parmesan Cheese Sauce Transformation.
This "transformation" took some beautiful pasta and yielded a burnt mess.  Oops.

Leftover ravioli in parmesan cream sauce: Will it Waffle?  Noooooo.

Cream sauce does not waffle.  It just burns.  And smokes.  And makes a mess.  The ravioli itself probably would be fine ...
The Original: Wild Mushroom Ravioli in Parmesan Cream Sauce.
The original dish was wild mushroom stuffed ravioli, cooked in an absolutely incredible parmesan cream sauce, loaded with leek, onions, and sage, in addition to the cream and cheese of course.

The pasta was good, and the sauce, just, incredible.  I wanted to coat anything and everything in in, and wished I had a loaf of bread just to dunk in it.
Leftover Parmesan Cream Sauce (with wild mushroom ravioli hiding ...).
I saved all the leftovers, and in particular, all the sauce that somehow others didn't claim.   Who just fishes out the ravioli from that decadence?

I had some of the leftovers just heated up on the stovetop, and it was fine.  I had some cold, because, well, I like cold leftover pasta.  It was better that way than re-heated.  I used a bunch of the extra sauce to make creamed spinach (ok, that was amazing).

But I also had something else in mind ...
Into the Waffle Iron.
I took a single patty, and stuck it into the waffle iron, 350 degrees.  I'm glad I started with only one.

The waffle iron immediately started to smoke, dramatically.  I rarely have that happen.  This didn't bode well.

It was then that I thought about the fact that I had not bothered to scrape off the sauce, and that was likely just running out and burning off.  I knew better.
Waffled Leftover Ravioli Burnt Mess.
When I opened the lid to examine the situation, well, what can I say.  I had a bit of a mess on my hands.  A very burnt mess.

It tasted, well, burnt.
Waffled Leftover Ravioli: Other side.
The top side was better, since the cream sauce ran off into the bottom grill, so I got a sense of what this could be like, but, it would only work with unsauced ravioli to start, and then I think it actually would be great, super crispy.

Next time.  I know better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails