Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Waffling Leftovers: Shepherd's Pie

In the land of waffling leftovers, sometimes you have wild successes, like leftover pizza-waffles, which has forever changed the way I'll consume my leftover pizza.  Sometimes you have quasi-successes like chorizo wrapped pesto pasta.

And sometimes you have fails.  This is a story of a fail.

It was still fun, and a learning lesson, but yes, sometimes you win some, and sometimes you lose.

So, leftover shepherd's pie: will it waffle?  Nope!
Leftover Shepherd's Pie.
I started with leftover shepherd's pie.

In my head, this was going to be a great success.  I thought the mashed potato top would get crispy like a potato pancake, like when I waffled plain mashed potatoes.  Of course, I forgot a key element: when I waffled just the mashed potatoes, it didn't work that well, it was only once I crusted the potatoes that I had success.  Whoops.  I should read my own notes.

In my head, the meat on the bottom layer would basically turn into a burger.

And then the veggies and cheese inside would get warm and gooey.

It seemed like a great idea - crispy potato pancake top, burger bottom, melty center.
A few minutes in ...
I set the waffle iron at 350 degrees, and added a portion of shepherd's pie.

I checked a few minutes in, and ... it was a bit of a mess.  It didn't really seem to be holding together.  I waited a wail longer, as often, the key to success with waffling items is to just let it go longer.  Still, no dice.

So, I turned the heat up to 400.  Besides failing to crust it, I think this was one of my fatal moves.
Will it waffle? No.
After just a minute or so, I opened the waffle iron to find a mess.  A burnt mess.

I extracted it, but it totally and completely fell apart.  The bits that weren't burnt tasted fine, but, there weren't many of those.  It was pretty brunt.  Luckily, I had saved half my portion, so I just heated that up the traditional way in my toaster oven, and enjoyed much more.

I might still try this again sometime, with a crust, and keeping it at lower temperature.  Or ... since shepherd's pie reheats so well traditionally anyway, perhaps this is one just better left alone.  What do you think, dear readers?  Do I try again?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails