Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Limited Edition Gelato Messina Tim Tams

The ultimate Sydney collab.  Tim Tams (the very, very Aussie cookie) and Gelato Messina (the fairly legendary gelato shop with many locations now).  Together.  To make Limited Edition Tim Tams.  To translate for San Francisco based folks, it would be like ... Oreo collaborating with Humphry Slocombe.  Or in New York, Chips Ahoy with Big Gay Ice Cream.  In Portland, Keebler and Salt & Straw.  I think you get the point?  Iconic cookie brand + local well known ice cream shop.
"At Messina, we make everything for our gelato from scratch. Each of our gelato flavours has its own recipe, plus our in house bakery team bake all our gooey brownies, coulis & sauces in house which are churned into our flavours. If there’s mint in a flavour, we cold press it here, if there are pistachios we find the best ones we can and use the real nuts. Working with the Tim Tam development team, we’ve taken all this flavour knowledge and made something that will tingle your taste buds in biscuit form."
Here's the thing.  I've never really been a fan of Tim Tams, I guess mostly because they are just hard cookies, which are never my thing.  And I'm kinda over Gelato Messina, as you read about in my last review.  But, when a friend brought me the limited edition Gelato Messina "Inspired" Tim Tams, you know I tried them.

For the curious, the collab was a big retail success, and they've since come out with three more flavors (Turkish Delight, Choc Cherry Coconut and Iced Coffee), all of which they encourage you to try eating frozen or chilled too.  They, um, come in packaging that changes color in the fridge.  For real.

But I tried the original line.
Choc Mint.
"This tempting “after dinner” combination is beautifully executed by the Messina wizards in their intense gelato, and is just as appealing here."

Basic chocolate Tim Tams are the least interesting to me, but, I do love chocolate and mint, so I gave the "Choc Mint" a try (ah, Australia, I love how you use shorthand even in formal titles!).

It was a classic Tim Tam construction: chocolate biscuits enrobed in chocolate.  The biscuit was crunchy and boring to me, the chocolate mediocre.
Choc Mint: Inside.
Inside, the filling was separated into a chocolate side, and a mint side, although, as you can see, mine wasn't particularly well distributed. 

It was kinda minty, and kinda chocolately, and basically reminded me of a Girl Scout Thin Mint, which I've never really liked (again, just a crunchy cookie).  Not for me.

But, other tasters were more impressed.

"It's like a mint slice but not offensive!", one Australian friend proclaimed, referring to the popular chocolate cookie also made by Arnott's.

"It's like a Thin Mint, but, better!", exclaimed another US based taster.

"Meh, I don't like the mint, but I like Tim Tams", was another response.

So, if you like Thin Mints, and you like Tim Tams, check this flavor out?

**+ for me.

We also tried the "Black Forest", but sadly, I lost my notes on that one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails