Friday, August 24, 2018

SS Frutas Plantain Chips

SS Frutas is an international food importer and distributor.  They work with farms in South America to harvest "exotic" fruits to bring to other countries.  Their main products are plantain and yucca chips.

As a lover all snack foods, and chips in particular, I was eager to try them.  I didn't find the yucca variety, which would be my top pick, but I did try the plantain chips in several varieties.
"Gluten-free, nutritious and delicious vegan plantain crisps. They are a good source of potassium without artificial colors, added flavors nor preservatives."
If this matters, yes, they are vegan, gluten-free, etc, etc.  They market them as a healthy snack, but I was fairly surprised to see that the single serve bags had 440 calories in them, much, much higher than your average bag of potato chips.  Interestingly, the Naturally Sweet ones have considerably more protein (and sugar obviously), than the other varieties.

SS Frutas makes 3 varieties: Salted, Spicy, and "Naturally Sweet". They all contain simple ingredients: plantains and oil for the Naturally Sweet, plantains, oil, and salt for the Salted, and plantains, oil, salt, and spices for the Spicy.

The result?  Yup, plantain chips.  No more, no less.
Salted.
The salted were ...  well, plantain chips, salty ones.  Crispy, banana-like yet starchy, fried.  Decent thickness, not broken up, not too oily.  Salty.  Not much to say here.  I think my favorite of the two kinds I tried, but I really needed something to dip them in to satisfy.
Naturally Sweet.
The naturally sweet were ... well, sweeter plantain chips that weren't salted?  I'm not sure what I was expecting really.  Again, just crispy, fried, banana-eque chips.  Kinda sweet.  But not dessert.  Not sure where these would fit into my life.  Not sweet enough to be a dessert item, but certainly not what I wanted with a savory meal.  Meh?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails