Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Hawaiian Chips

Hawaii.  A destination somehow *still* on my bucket list.  Yup, I now live in California, and have never been to Hawaii, even though I've had friends even move there in the past few years.  Someday.  Like I said, bucket list.

But there are parts of Hawaii that I appreciate from afar - poke, spam masubi, furikake chex mix, macadamia nuts, etc, so even if I don't know Hawaii intimately myself, I'm always up for trying something from afar.  Particularly anything in the snack foods realm, as I'm an avid snacker.  Which brings us to ... Hawaiian chips.
"Explore the always tropical and sometimes exotic tastes of Hawaiian snacks. Our Kettle Style Potato Chips and Snack Rings are crispy with a satisfying crunch—and loaded with sweet and savory island flavors!"
I was drawn in by the bright packaging and Hawaiian motifs on these chips, on display at a poke shop.  On impulse, I grabbed a bag.

Later I did my research and discovered that Hawaiian chips are owned by Utz, the mega snack foods company that makes, among many things, some rather addicting pub mix, which of course I've reviewed before.  They make a number of different kettle chips, such as their play on BBQ, dubbed "Luau BBQ", a spicy "HulapeƱo", and more.  They also make puffy onion rings snacks in several flavors.  All do try to include Hawaiian ingredients it seems.

Authentic Hawaiian chips?  Well, no, not really, but enjoyable?  Yes.
Hawaiian® Sweet Maui Onion
Kettle Style Potato Chips
"Discover a new world of flavor when you crunch into Hawaiian Kettle Style Potato Chips. These crispy, golden chips are cooked to perfection, then seasoned with just the right amount of Sweet Maui onion flavor. We have combined only the finest ingredients to create a unique chip that captures the freshness and authenticity of the islands.

Open a bag of Hawaiian Kettle Style Potato Chips and you'll imagine yourself sailing on the blue waters of the Pacific, headed toward an island of tropical paradise."

I had these early into the pandemic first summer, when I was getting really, really bored with lunch made at home.  Just when I thought I was over (potato) chips as a snack food, I discovered these.  Well, huh.  It reinvigorated my love of chips.

The chips were incredibly crispy and crunchy as advertised.  Sure, all chips are crispy, but these were ... just more crispy.  Probably the best kettle style chips I've ever had.  Clearly high fat chips too, they tasted, and looked, very fried.  But I think that is what made them great.

And then, the flavor.  "Sweet Maui Onion".  The chips were very well coated and flavorful.  The flavor was ... fascinating.  Sweet and savory, yes you could taste sweet onion, but there was more than just that going on.   It turned out to be a coating made from sugar (dextrose and regular sugar), a pile of powders (onion powder, garlic powder, whey powder), and ... romano cheese.  Cheese?  Totally not what I expected on these, and I didn't taste cheese as a standalone ingredient, but, clearly, it contributed to the overall flavor.  Really quite fascinating.

I enjoyed these, and would gladly try more flavors.

****.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails