Friday, December 03, 2021

Albanese Candy

Mmm, candy.  Gummy candy in particular I'm a fan of.  And thus, I've certainly heard of Albanese, a candy manufacturer known to have "the best" gummy bears.  Their claim to fame is that they invented a technology to allow for greater flavor release from gelatins, back in the 1980s, and it apparently makes all the difference?  While perhaps not quite as widely distributed as grocery and convenience store brands like Haribo, Albanese is all over the place, just, often without branding, e.g. in bulk candy shops.

Albanese makes a variety of gummy items, plus other confections, chocolates, and nuts.  The gummies sadly weren't winners for me, but I was quite pleased with some of the chocolate items I tried.

Gummies

I love gummy candy.  Yes, I'm an adult who takes gummy vitamins every morning, and does so with glee.  Sometimes I "sneak" a few real gummy candies alongside.  It doesn't grow old.  I love gummy candy.  And Albanese makes a LOT of gummy candy.  And they claim to be the best at it.
"If manufacturing gummies was an Olympic sport, then our World's Best Gummies would take home the gold every time; Soft texture, Intense Flavor, Gluten Free, and Fat Free."
Albanese offers much more than your standard worms and bears, or even fairly common peach rings and frogs ... they have butterflies, flowers, sharks, raspberries, and even "army guys" and fighter jets.  And that doesn't even get into the seasonal offerings like pumpkins, snow flakes, snow men, holiday trees, easter eggs, hearts, and more.

But it turns out, I have a type when it comes to gummy candy.

Albanese makes a particular style of gummy candy.  They make it in fun flavors, shapes, and sizes.  The flavors are good.  But ... unfortunately, the chew is not the style I like.
Spooktacular Gummies.
Fall Seasonal.
"Green broomsticks, purple cats, and orange jack-o-lanterns mix together to concoct this witchy brew. Festive, spooky, and tasty to boot, these fun gummies will have you cackling with delight!"

"A spooky assortment of bright, festive gummies in orange, grape, and green apple flavors."

The first kind I tried was a seasonal special, for halloween, the "Spooktacular" mix.  Fun colors and shapes, yes.

But not the candy for me, at all.  Exactly the type of chewy gummy candy I don't care for, no real flavor, and just too chewy.

**.
Gummi Snow Flurries.
Winter Seasonal.
"Keep your taste buds cool with watermelon, blue raspberry, and pineapple-flavored gummy snowflakes. Their chilly shape and fruity flavor makes them a treat for all seasons."

I moved on to a winter seasonal special next, the snow "flurries". 

I did not realize the flavors of these before I tried them.  But once I read the description I sorta panicked.    Watermelon!?  In blue or white gummies!  Danger, danger, and why make something blue or white watermelon colored!  Ah!  (I have severe watermelon allergy, and I'm usually on alert if things are pink or red ...  not that candy usually uses real watermelon ...).

Anyway, I tried a white one to start, excepting to not taste much, but I was overwhelmed with a blast of fruitiness, I guess, pineapple.  Very sweet, very fruity.  And luckily, NOT watermelon.

But it was the chew I really didn't care for.  Combined with the fruity intensity, it ate much more like a child's fruit snack than a gummy candy, at least, the type I like.

I didn't try the others out of caution for the watermelon.

**.
Red & Blue Raspberry Gummies.
"Our Red and Blue Raspberries bring together two incredible juicy flavors into one mix!!"

"A juicy medley of bright, bold red and blue raspberry gummies."

The last gummies I tried were not a special seasonal thing, just regular offerings, of blue and red raspberries.

The flavor of these was good, fruity, berry-like, but ... again, it was the chew that I didn't care for.  Again, more like a fruit snack than a gummy candy.

**.

Chocolates

So, the gummies were not a success for me, but I had hope for the next main category of offerings from Albanese: chocolate!
"Calling All Chocoholics! Do you love chocolate? I mean really LOVE chocolate. Well you've come to the right place. We invite you to try our fresh, beautiful chocolates made from the finest ingredients. We offer something for everyone. Favorites include Double-Dipped Peanuts, Milk Chocolate Raisins and Triple-Dipped Chocolate Malt Balls."
Much like the gummies, Albanese has a large variety of goodies, including a slew of seasonal items.  Milk, dark, and white chocolate coated malt balls, nuts, dried fruits, pretzels, etc, etc, etc.  Clusters, toffees, peanut butter cups, caramels, nougats, cookies, popcorn, animal crackers ...  they make it all. 

The chocolate items fared much better for me than the gummies.
Triple Dipped Chocolate Milk Malt Balls.
"Not one, not two, but three sumptuous layers of creamy milk chocolate envelop crunchy malted milk balls to create these distinctively toothsome treats."

I started with the very ambitious "Triple Dipped" malt balls, milk chocolate version.

These were, indeed, quite wonderful malt balls.

I did not find distinct layers of chocolate, but, the chocolate coating was smooth, creamy, rich milk chocolate, clearly a decent quality, not waxy.  It was thick, but since the chocolate was so good, this was a nice thing.  And inside, a classic malt ball, easily dissolved on my tongue.

I really enjoyed these, likely the best malt balls I've ever had.  Leagues above Whoppers ...

****+.

They also make a triple dipped malt ball in dark chocolate, or "skinny" versions (dipped only twice), along with yogurt or peanut butter coated.  I'd love to try any of those.
Milk Chocolate Filled Peanut Butter Pretzels.
"Rich peanut butter encased in a crisp, salty pretzel puff and drenched in milk chocolate."

Chocolate and peanut butter.  Enjoyable combination.  Peanut butter filled pretzels.  Definitely enjoyable.  Chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels?  Why have I never had these before?

These were good, each element very dominant, in its own way.  The milk chocolate coating was thicker than I expected, decent enough creamy milk chocolate.  The pretzel was crispy, salty, and the combo of salt and chocolate was a nice one.  And inside, a very very generous amount of peanut butter, thick, creamy, very, uh, peanut butter flavored?

If anything I think there might have been too much peanut butter, it made these very rich, like a mini peanut butter cup crossed with a pretzel, so it was hard to eat many in a sitting.  Although ... perhaps that is a good thing!

****.
Milk Chocolate Cappuccino Biscotti Bites.
"Crispy, crunchy biscotti, with a cappuccino flavor covered in real milk chocolate. A treat for coffee lovers."

"Bite-sized morsels of coffee-infused biscotti covered in a rich layer of milk chocolate."

These were ... ok.  Slight coffee flavor, slight crunch from the biscotti, decent enough milk chocolate coating.  But not really an exciting item to me, particularly compared to the other chocolate items I tried.

***.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails