Friday, August 02, 2019

Meat & Veggie Bars, from Wild Zora

Update Review: June 2019

I've reviewed Wild Zora before, when I was able to try one of their 7 bars (the fascinating BBQ Beef with Kale, Tomato, Red Bell Pepper), but I did note that the flavor wasn't really what I wanted.  I was excited when I found them again, and this time, in a different flavor: Parmesan Beef with Kale, Tomato, Basil.

These really are an interesting product.
PARMESAN BEEF BARS WITH KALE, TOMATO & BASIL.
"Parmesan Cheese and Beef Wild Zora Bars are our most very savory recipe – highest in protein, this gluten-free snack for kids features a familiar combination of 100% free range, grass-fed beef sweet red bell peppers, kale, and dried apricots; mixed with parmesan cheese, dried tomatoes, and a hint of fresh basil. Our Italian friends call this, “the pizza flavor!”"

Like the previous flavor I tried, the base of this is beef ... with fruits & veggies (red bell peppers, apricots, dates, kale, tomato, celery), basically the same base, just differently seasoned.

This seasoning in this is much more bold, which helped temper the fruits in particular, I didn't taste the apricot or date this time.  It also was a far better match for the other veggies, tomato, basil, and parmesan makes sense with bell peppers and greens, as they say, kinda akin to pizza.

So, how was it though?  I think I like these.  They really do fascinate me, in a good way.  The texture is chewy like beef jerky, but not as chewy.  You do taste beef.  And, if you are in the mood for pizza-jerky, then I think these deliver.

Again, I'm fascinated, and will certainly be happy to try more varieties.

Original Review: April 2019

I review a lot of snacks, but definitely not many of the, er, healthier variety.  So for once, a snack that actually is better for you, and even filled with protein.

Wild Zora makes 3 very different product line: snack bars, soups, and freeze-dried Paleo meals.  I guess the common thread is that they are full of protein and good for camping?  Not exactly my world, but I somehow wound up with a bar to try, and it was different enough that I decided to learn more, and review.

Meat & Veggie Bars

"Looking for Paleo snack bars, low-carb gluten-free snacks, or just a healthy snack the whole family will love?"
The bars are made from meat, veggies, and fruits.  The protein options are fairly varied (beef, turkey, lamb, pork), all treat the spicing as a key element, and most have a surprising ingredients or two (apricot? kale?).  They come in 7 varieties:
  • BBQ Beef with Kale, Tomato, Red Bell Pepper
  • Chili Beef with Kale, Apricot, Cayenne Pepper
  • Curry Turkey with Spinach, Dates, Cardamom
  • Mediterranean Lamb with Spinach & Turmeric
  • Parmesan Beef with Kale, Tomato, Basil
  • Apple Pork with Kale, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme
  • Taco Pork with Cilantro, Lime & JalapeƱo 
All are gluten-free, grain-free, nut/peanut/tree nut-free, soy-free, MSG-free, and contain no added sugar, hormones, antibiotics, or chemical additives.

I tried one, but, I'm not rushing back to try more.
Packaging.
The bars come packaged with two mini bars (really, more like slices), in a pouch.  I liked the see-through window so I could see that it did really look like beef jerky.
BBQ BEEF BARS WITH KALE, TOMATO & RED BELL PEPPER.
"BBQ Beef Wild Zora Bars are our first and most traditional recipe with a zesty combination of 100% grass-fed beef, sweet red bell peppers, tomatoes and kale; mixed with dried apricots and a hint of chipotle and ancho chili peppers — but not so much that you'd call it, "spicy" (for that, see our Chili recipe)!"

Ok, this tasted as strange as it sounded.  Yes, it was sorta beef jerky, but ... it had so many savory vegetable tastes mixed in (red bell pepper, tomato, kale, celery), and aggressive spicing from ancho chili pepper, chipotle, and garlic, then the unmistakable texture and sweetness from dates and apricots.  It was just so strange.

The flavors, at least the savory ones, were good ... but not in this application.  The texture was not bad exactly, but if you wanted chewy beef jerky, this was certainly not that.  If you thought of it as a savory veggie bar, it kinda worked, until you tasted the beef.

Just, odd.  So odd.

I didn't like, but, I give credit for a healthy wholesome snack ... if that is your thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails