Friday, May 31, 2019

Super Eats High Protein Puffs

Super Eats.  Makers of high protein, reduced carb puffs.  Snack food of ... champions?

I will fully admit that even though I love trying all kinds of snacks, I had ... essentially zero hope for these products.  But hey, given my munchy tendencies, if I could find a snack food that was healthier, had protein, and tasted good, it was worth a try, right? 
"A serving of Puffs contains 8 grams of complete protein, <1g of sugar, and 25-50% fewer carbs than most chips & puffs, making it the perfect vegan snack for an active lifestyle."
Oh yeah, they are gluten-free and vegan too, even though they boast flavors like "jalapeƱo cheddar".   Like I said, little hope.

But ... the variety I tried was quite good, and I'd love to get my hands on some other flavors, like the
High Protein Vegan Puffs - White Cheddar.
"Finally a healthy puff snack! Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Kosher and with 8g of Protein. Only 11g of net carbs. 0g of sugar. A classically delicious, cheesy, crunchy Puff."

I took a bite of my first puff with apprehension.

Well, huh.  It wasn't bad.  Wasn't bad at all.  Great crispy factor, but also, fairly light and fluffy.  It really was much like other puff snacks.

And the flavor?  Yup, it tasted like white cheddar, even though vegan.  Not that most commercial cheddar puffs are made with real cheese anyway .... 

Ok, so what is in these things?  The base is the "Supereats protein blend", thankfully not made with whey protein (which my body dislikes), but rather, pea protein and ... sacha incha protein.  Pea protein I'm familiar with, and I'm generally a fan (when used in drinks at least), but sacha inchi?  Next step: learn what this is.  Turns out to be a shrub from Peru, high in protein, omega-3, omega-6, omega-9, vitamin E, and more.  Sounds like a good thing? There is also lentil flour, sorghum flour, and rice flour to round it out.

The seasoning, which I really did like, uses nutritional yeast to achieve the "cheesy" nature, and garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard seed to round it out.

Overall, actually pretty crave-able.  Good form factor, great crunch, nice flavor.  And ... uh ... the protein really is a nice side benefit!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails