Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Mr. East Kitchen

What do you do when its 86° in San Francisco?

Wait, rewind, what?

Yeah, it happened.  On a Sunday no less.  To say I was thrilled is an understatement.  I couldn't wait to be outside, and to just enjoy it.

Of course, after a few hours in the heat, I needed something refreshing.  Stat.

I pulled up my latest "order pickup and get fun perks" app of the month, Ritual, and saw I was right near Mr. East Kitchen, a Vietnamese restaurant that is fairly new, located at 5th & Folsom.  They feature bahn mi, pho, and ... boba tea!

The boba is what drew me in, although the menu is pretty limited.  I can't comment on anything else, but, it does seem like a quality establishment, and I hope they succeed.
Open Interior.
The restaurant really is spacious, open, and fairly beautiful inside.  Seating on both sides, huge floor to ceiling windows letting in tons of natural light, and plants everywhere.

A very tranquil, pleasant feeling, immediately making me not feel like I was at 5th & Folsom!

There are also 2 small tables out on the sidewalk.
Drink Station.
Service is order-at-register style, with the drink station adjacent, and kitchen behind.  One staff member takes orders, handles payment, and makes all the drinks (bubble teas, coffee drinks, etc).  He was very busy, even though there were only 2 other people there.
Lychee Fizz, Medium, with Boba. $3.50 + $0.50.
Instead of a classic milky bubble tea, I went for something refreshing.  It was too hot for dairy (well, besides ice cream!)

My drink was fairly simple: ice, sparkling water, two lychees, lychee syrup, and boba.  Well, boba once I reminded the server that I had ordered boba, he first handed it over without.

I also asked for less sweet, and what I got was a pretty sweet drink.  I'm not sure if my less sweet request was ignored along with the boba request, or if this was less sweet?  

It was almost refreshing, the fizzy water and lychee certainly could be refreshing, if the sweetness was toned down.  The lychees inside were fine, likely canned, but not strangely soft or browning.  "Fresh" enough for a canned product.

The boba was done very well, points for that.  Soft, but not mushy, none stuck together.  Quality boba, actually.  I do wish they had options besides just black pearl boba though.

Drinks are available in 2 sizes, medium or large.  I opted for the medium, priced at $3.50, large is $1 more.  Which in this case, I think just means a bigger cup with a bit more sparkling water and ice in it, hence why I didn't go for it.  And since it was sweeter than I wanted anyway, I gladly just added my own extra sparkling water to mellow it out.

The boba was $0.50 extra, and I'm glad I added them.

Overall this was fine, fun to have a sparkling fruity drink actually, and I'd consider it again, but really would want other mix-ins to make it novel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails