Monday, October 07, 2019

IHOP, 2019

Another year, another annual visit to IHOP, home of what were once my favorite pancakes.  If you'd like to catch up on past reviews, see 2012 and 2013 where I got combos with Harvest Grain N' Nut or Whole Wheat Pancakes, more Harvest Grain N' Nut pancakes in 2014, Raspberry White Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Chip in 2015, Red Velvet and Double Blueberry in 2016, Cinn-a-Stack and more Double Blueberry in 2017, and Mexican Tres Leches and MORE double blueberry in 2018.

This visit was to the only location left in San Francisco, on Beach Street, which has always been ... on the disaster side of the service spectrum, just given the seemingly poor efficiency, the staffing who really don't seem to care, and the vast number of guests.  This visit was no different, and I was ignored much of the time.
Decaf Coffee. $3.19.
For the first time, I tried IHOP's coffee, decaf, since I had already had my morning cup of regular.

It wasn't bad, actually.  I won't say it was amazing, not complex nor particularly interesting, but, it was good, not funky, and better than average decaf actually.

Coffee at IHOP is bottomless, and I was provided my own little carafe, which kept it warm and plentiful, which I really appreciated.

I'm glad I got it, although the $3.19 price is a bit steep for average drip coffee.
Italian Cannoli Pancakes (deconstructed). $11.99.
"Three buttermilk pancakes rolled and filled with sweet Ricotta cream and chocolate pieces topped with crunchy cannoli pieces, chocolate chips and creamy whipped topping."

After much agonizing, I decided on the latest addition to the "International" line up, the Italian pancakes ... cannoli pancakes!  They are normally served rolled up, and stuffed with the cannoli filling, and then topped with more of it, and sprinkled with cannoli shell bits and chocolate chips.

I asked for it deconstructed for 2 reasons: 1) easier to save the leftovers if not covered in stuff and 2) if I hated the filling, I didn't want it to ruin the pancakes ... learned my lesson from the year I ordered the Cinn-a-Stack and truly hated it.

My server looked slightly annoyed when I ordered the toppings on the side, but it was actually no problem.

The pancakes were good enough, average buttermilk IHOP pancakes, not undercooked like I've had before.  It did make me realize how spoiled I am at my office now though, we have great pancakes on campus now, which made these not quite as special.  Still, they were hot and fresh, and not bad.  I did want more buttermilk tang, and loftier cakes though.

The cannoli filling was ... kinda awful.  I expected to taste more ricotta, but it was very mild, and that is me being generous.  I couldn't really taste ricotta.  It had a few chocolate chips in it, but only ... maybe, honestly 4 (?) in the entire little bowl.  The real issue was the consistency, sorta like cannoli filling, rich, thick, but grainy and just odd.  The mouthfeel wasn't good.  I'm sure the texture would be better in a cannoli, but it still just wasn't very good, and had no real ricotta flavor.

The cannoli shell bits and chocolate chips were tasty though, although not particularly interesting.
Syrups.
As always, I wanted to try all the syrups, and went into my tasting knowing that I randomly seem to prefer a different one each time.

IHOP hasn't changed their syrups at all, and in addition to the standard four table syrups, I also asked for the SF syrup, since I sometimes love that, and butter, since my pancakes didn't come with it (cannoli pancakes certainly wouldn't need it).

I was pleased that none of the syrup containers were sticky like usual, and, they were all full.  This is honestly the first time I've ever dined at an IHOP and not had sticky syrup bottles.
Sampler Platter.
I took my sampling seriously, cutting off perfect little triangles, and trying each syrup plain and with butter.  

My preferences were clear.  I loved the Butter pecan most of all. Rich, buttery, sweet flavor, and the perfect compliment to the pancake.  Fine with butter, perhaps a bit better with butter, but it wasn't necessary.  Hands down favorite.

The regular Old Fashioned was fine, but not special, and did best with butter added, as it needed additional richness.  Surprisingly, or perhaps because they changed vendors again, I didn't care for the sugar free version at all, and sometimes I really do like that.  I'm not sure what brand it was this time, as they just brought me a little cup of it, not the bottle like normal.

The fruity syrups are the ones I sometimes love, and sometimes hate, and this visit was no exception.  I liked the strawberry syrup, although I know it isn't exactly real fruit.  It was nice to have as a different style than the butter pecan.  But the blueberry? I hated it this time.  Just, didn't care for it at all.

So, Butter Pecan a clear winner, Strawberry or Old Fashioned fine, and Blueberry and Sugar Free clear closers.

And the perfect little cannoli bite I assembled?  Fine too, but, given the lackluster cannoli filling it obviously couldn't shine, and, honestly, the texture and flavor weren't right for a pancake topping.

The one thing I was really missing though was whipped cream, not normally included with cannoli pancakes, and I really wanted it, particularly with the strawberry sauce bites.
So much food waste.
This was my neighbor's table ... after they left. 

I know IHOP portions are ridiculous, but the food waste kinda broke my heart.  The pair of diners did a decent job on their omelets, but literally didn't touch (!), like, literally, you can see they are entirely untouched, butter and all, the stack of 3 buttermilk pancakes.  I actually just can't imagine not even trying a single bite of them!!!

They at least tried the crepes, which, they got MY FAVORITE CREPES, the dish I used to get at IHOP in grad school all the time (but isn't eligible for my free birthday pancakes for this visit, since its just for pancakes not crepes), the Swedish pancakes.  It comes with 4 crepes - 2 are still sitting untouched on the big plate, and one of the two people actually served himself the others, but took only a bite and didn't eat more. They didn't even touch the thing of lingonbutter that comes with them (my favorite!), but the guy at least tried the lingonberry jam on his bite.  This made me very very sad, as I love those crepes and those toppings!!!!

A friend told me I should just switch tables and go take their pancakes, extra crepes, and lingonbutter, since I knew it wasn't actually touched, lol.   Don't worry, I didn't actually do this.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails