Thursday, October 03, 2019

Moku Moku, Tokyo

I spent my recent trip to Tokyo seeking out incredible soft serve ice cream.  And I did have some incredible soft serve, mostly from places I researched in advance.

And then I had some "eh" soft serve, the result of impulse buys, when I was too worn out to seek out something I really wanted.

Which is what lead me to Moku Moku a shop in the Midtown mall, attached to my hotel.  I had walked by several times, saw that they offered soft serve, and on a rainy night, when I was grumpy and wanted a treat, I wound up there out of convenience.
Soft Serve Signs.
I was drawn in by the signs.

Moku Moku clearly had soft serve, in a cone, or as a sundae.  The translate app on my phone confirmed that the choices were strawberry, caramel, or lemon.  I wasn't sure if this meant parfaits, or just a sauce, but, I was willing to gamble.  I had some fabulous soft serve parfaits in Tokyo, and I hoped this would measure up.
Cute Store.
The place really was cute, with a setup much like a country farm store, selling assorted goods like jam and breads.
Counter.
They also sold bento boxes, um, pizza, and deli items.  It was a bit confusing, actually.

I was able to order easily, just pointing at the caramel soft serve.
Caramel Soft Serve. 420jpy.
My sundae was made quickly and handed over.  It looked ... ok.

I was a bit sad to see that it looked like just some caramel from a bottle squirted on top, but the cone-dish looked appealing.  I didn't care for either.

The cone-dish was extremely boring - no flavor, no sweetness.  But it looked nice.  The caramel with thick, cloying, and clearly not housemade, as I feared.  I wanted to scrape it off.

The soft serve was fine.  It wasn't nearly as good as the soft serve I had at Ciosof the day before, nor as good as the soft serve I had from Milk Cream Craft Cafe two days before that, but those were both exemplary in their creaminess.  It was smoother than Ministop at least, not icy.  The flavor was decent, milk flavor.

I salvaged this by not eating the bowl, removing as much caramel as I could, and adding my own toppings, but it was still highly lackluster, and not worth the 420 yen price.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails