Friday, March 27, 2020

Lenny and Larry’s Complete Cookie

Lenny and Larry make ... healthy cookies.  Basically, nutrition bars, but as cookies.  I assumed, that like most nutrition bars, I'd dislike them, greatly.

And then I tried one.  And I was blown away.

But let's rewind.  Who are Lenny and Larry?  And why are they making these cookies?
"Two gym rats named Benny and Barry get tired of eating the same boring things to get their protein."
Well there you go.  They started their company in 1993 making protein muffins, got involved with Whole Foods and Gold's Gym just a year later, and, well, evolved (including Benny leaving the company in 2001, and coming back in 2007).  In 2013 they reached real success and fame when they introduced the The Complete Cookie®, and things really took off.  You can now find them nationwide, in places like 7 Eleven and Walmart even. 

The product line now focuses on cookies, and in addition to the signature Complete Cookie, also includes a crunchy cookie line, "creme" filled line, and, keto version.  I've only tried the Complete Cookie, but honestly, would love to try more.

The Complete Cookie®

"The cookie just got upgraded, BIG time! With up to 16g of plant-based proteins and 10g of fiber, our dairy-free, no egg, vegan and NGP Verified cookie will not only satisfy your tummy and sweet tooth but also your peace of mind. No excuses needed for this non-cheat treat with incredible taste and none of the things you don’t want! 
With tantalizing flavors like chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, PB chocolate chip, and more, you're sure to find a cookie you love. Throw away those inedible protein bars you can't stand and try the Complete Cookie instead. Satisfy your protein and fiber needs while enjoying a delicious treat -without the usual stomach ache you get from other protein bars."
Yeah, ok, healthy cookies.  Vegan.  Loaded with protein.  Yeah, right.  I'm never that into cookies to begin with, and certainly had no hope for a vegan one.  I assumed the protein came from all sorts of isolates, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't.  I was also happy to see they actually use real sugar, and don't try to use dates or something like that to sweeten.  Still.  I had no hope for these.


The flavor lineup does sound great: "chocolate donut", salted caramel, birthday cake, apple pie, white chocolate macadamia, peanut butter chocolate chip, among many others (yup, and even a seasonal pumpkin spice).  But you know what?  Many nutrition bars have great sounding flavors, and leave me very, very disappointed.

Again, zero expectations of goodness.
Chocolate Chip.
"When you hear the word “cookie”, what’s the first flavor to pop up in your head? Since 1936, chocolate chip has become the most iconic cookie flavor in America, thrilling both kids and adults alike.


At Lenny and Larry’s, The Chocolate Chip Complete Cookie has been a crowd-pleaser since the day we set up shop. Satisfyingly firm and chewy, our delectable plant-based protein chocolate chip cookie is lovingly sprinkled with sizeable semi-sweet morsels of chocolate throughout. Keep with tradition by pairing your vegan cookie with a tall glass of ice cold milk."

I honestly don't remember where I picked this up, but I wound up with one in my stash.  I pulled it out, kinda half-hearted.  Meh, a cookie, meh a healthy cookie.  And if I had picked a flavor, chocolate chip wouldn't have been it (I mean, its fine, but so many better options).

The cookie is ... kinda huge.  The package says 2 servings per cookie, which, I kinda understand.  It is large in diameter, it is thick, and it is heavy.  It is a very, very hearty cookie.  And considering the protein load, it probably should be 2 servings, but, I didn't realize that when I tried it.  My cookie had been a bit crushed somewhere along the way, but I still had reasonable size chunks.

I took my first bite.  Well, huh.  It wasn't anything like I was expecting.  The texture was great, soft, slightly crumbly in a good way.  The flavor?  Not a classic cookie flavor for sure, and it had a hint of something interesting going on, but, it certainly wasn't a bad, funky thing.  It was, honestly, just kinda enjoyable.  It tasted a lot like peanut butter to me, and that was only a good thing.

It was sweet in a normal way, again, because they used real sugar.  The chocolate chips were great, and nicely distributed, but I would have loved even more of them.

It really was, simply, good.  And strangely addicting.  I finished the two serving cookie, even though I tried to stop at about 70% done.  It was just too good.  It left me uncomfortably full though, after a regular sized lunch, and, unexpected bonus plethora of protein.

So what was it made of?  Obviously not milk, butter, and eggs.  It still uses wheat flour as the base, hence, the fairly normal texture I think.  No gluten-free sacrifices here.  The protein content, as I mentioned, doesn't come from isolates, nor whey protein that bothers my stomach, but rather pea protein and rice protein. Well, huh.  I think the slightly nutty flavor I detected was pea protein, which I often really do like (Ripple milk is my favorite non-dairy milk, made from pea protein).

I'd gladly get another (and only eat half!), and I'd really like to try other flavors, including the real peanut butter chocolate chip one, which I'm sure tastes more like peanut butter than this one ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails