Friday, September 18, 2020

Protein Bakeshop

I'll cut to the chase: I found some really, truly, delicious protein bars.  My years, literally, of sampling every random bar on the market has finally paid off.  I discovered Protein Bakeshop. 
"All our ingredients are locally sourced with no added preservatives or artificial sugar. We know that the lesser the ingredients in your food, the easier it is for your body to digest and absorb it's nutrients. Not only is each of our product freshly baked but also contains no more than 4-6"
Protein Bakeshop sounds much like any other protein bar on the market.  But unlike most healthy, vegan, gluten-free, yadda yadda bars, these ones really, truly taste like dessert.  That said, uh, these aren't really protein bars.  They are chocolate truffles.  With protein hiding in them.  

The only problem?  Uh, you can only get them in a few countries, all of which are far, far from where I reside: Kuwait, Oman, UAE, Bahrain, India, or, where I found them, Singapore.  In those countries, you can find them in gyms, cafes, etc.  But in the US?  Uh ... sadly, no, I can't find anywhere that has them.

If you do find them, these things are DELICIOUS.  They are designed as pre-workout snacks, or "indulgent" treats for those who are super conscious of macros and health, but for me?   I decided they were a perfect little bite alongside my morning coffee while prepping the rest of breakfast.  A small extra boost of protein, a dose of chocolate, no better way to start the day off right!
Packaging.
Each one is individually packaged, perfect for grab-n-go.

They come in 6 flavors, all of which sound pretty good: cashew, caramel, hazelnut, peanut butter, almond butter, dark chocolate, and coconut.  After adoring the first one I tried (peanut butter FTW!) I tried all that I could get my hands on, which was half the range.

Oh, and they *do* contain a little whey protein, which my body really, really doesn't like, but I think the amount is super minimal, or perhaps less processed in some way, as I felt *slight* effects from it, but not enough to deter me from having more of these, although I did limit myself to one at a time.
Peanut Butter Truffle.
"When we use peanut butter, it's always going to be the crunchy version to get more healthy fats from the whole nut. Just 2 tbsp gives you almost 8 grams of protein. If you have high cholesterol levels, peanuts or organic peanut butter is a complete must have."

"4 of these protein loaded truffles are ideal for a pre or post workout snack. The macros of this truffle work beautifully as a pre-workout snack or a low carb snack between meals. Just one of them has about 4 grams of whey and as low as 2 grams of carbs making it a low carb dieters dream come true."

Um, yeah.  I don't care about macros.  I don't care about low carbs.  I don't care about any of that.  I tried this because it was in the fitness center in my office in Singapore, and it blew me away.

This thing is *delicious*.

It is a chocolate shell, with a peanut butter filling.  It doesn't taste fake, too healthy, or anything strange, and it doesn't have the cloying processed taste of a standard peanut butter cup either.  Just a dark chocolate shell, with a kinda crumbly, lightly sweet, strongly peanut flavored filling.

I really loved it, and couldn't believe I was picking a healthy treat.

The ingredient list is pretty wholesome, the shell really is made of 70% dark chocolate, and inside is peanut butter, lightly sweetened as I expected with dates rather than sugar.  Almond powder and whey protein isolate are mixed in with the peanut butter, which is definitely what gave it the slightly crumbly chalky texture, and I think coconut oil is mixed with the dark chocolate to create the shell, but, that is all that there is to it.

Fairly simple, not too fake, and totally delicious.  I do wish the whey protein isolate wasn't in there, as sadly, my stomach reacts to it, and even in just one of these I felt it a bit.  I certainly couldn't have more than one in a sitting, and if they weren't so delicious I really wouldn't have more, but, I really like them!
Almond Truffle.
"Enjoy this delicious blend of crushed almonds and dark chocolate between lunch and dinner. Just 3 of these truffles with your evening coffee will give your snack a healthy kick of protein and super low carbs."

The almond one is made from the standard lineup of dark chocolate (70%), date syrup for sweetness, coconut, whey protein isolate, and, obviously, almonds.  It looks like a regular chocolate truffle, but clocks in 2 grams of protein per ball (75 cal, 5g fat).

It really does, mostly, taste like a fairly regular chocolate truffle, although it has a chew to it that is definitely trending in the protein bar direction.  The flavor was good, the texture a bit off, but, still, fairly enjoyable, although I don't really like date flavors, and almond isn't my top choice.

Unfortunately, the whey protein isolate, even the little in here, upset my stomach pretty badly.  My least favorite, but I still would eat another, sans stomach complications.
Coconut Truffle.
"Our coconut truffles are heart-healthy. Indulge in 4 delicious truffles for breakfast or have 2 as a snack any time in the day. This nut-free combination helps you heal your gut and give you sustained energy."

The last variety I tried is the coconut, again the standard base of 70% dark chocolate, date syrup for sweetness,  whey protein isolate (sigh, but, they *are* protein balls after all), and coconut oil for the shell, this time with coconut flakes and coconut milk powder mixed in.  No nuts at all.

The texture was much different in this one, as the filling was entirely different.  The shell was the same dark, rich good chocolate, and yes, dark chocolate and coconut is a very pleasing combo.  (The shell here has gotten a bit white, as I did expose it to heat - Singapore is HOT! - and I think it caused that effect).
Coconut Truffle: Inside.
Inside this one was entirely different.  It wasn't crumbly and chalky like the nut based ones, but rather a bit chewy, and, yes, very coconut forward.  Lots of coconut flakes, slightly odd flavor/texture from whey protein I think, but mostly, just chocolately-coconuty-chew.

Trended *slightly* in the protein bar/healthy item category, but mostly was just a tasty candy bar (er, ball).

My second favorite, I enjoyed it quite a bit, and didn't actually feel any adverse whey protein effects from it.  I still limit myself to one per serving, alongside a cup of coffee, just to be careful.

2 comments:

  1. hey I am searching for Protein balls in UAE , and landed your blog.

    Found that your blog is really very informative and also well written.

    I will visit again for latest articles by you.

    Thanks

    Shabnam .
    Dubai.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails