Friday, May 22, 2020

Woodridge Snacks

I'm a snacker.  No secret.  I love to munch on things.  I also love to throw snack foods on top of "salads" or "bowls", making them horribly unhealthy.  It's what I do.

I was pretty thrilled to discover a new brand of snacks, Woodbridge.  Why?  Not just because it was a new brand, but because they had ... TEMPURA SEAWEED CHIPS!!!!  While I may not be a standard potato chip fan, these had my name all over them.
"Inspired by the globalization of regional cuisines and the fusion cuisines that have united different cultures with flavor, Woodridge Snacks searches the world for the very best ingredients and techniques. Our discoveries become guiltless delicacies for you to enjoy every day."
Woodbridge has a really fine lineup of products: ranging from the tempura seaweed chip line, but also including amazing sounding mochi rice nuggets (in flavors like thai tom yum!), seed coated ginger chews, sticky rice chips in a flew of flavors, and more banal crunchy fruit chips.   I wish I could have gotten my hands on all of them!

Tempura Seaweed Chips

"Woodridge Tempura Seaweed snacks are dipped in light batter, then gently tempura fried to a delightful crisp. Forget potatoes. You have just discovered the better chip!"
The tempura seaweed chips are the only product I was able to find, but they come in three varieties: sea salt, hickory bbq, and sriracha.   I wanted to try the bbq, but alas, my choices were just sea salt or sriracha, so I went all in.

A bag of these is *supposed* to have 2 servings.  8 pieces each.  To which I say, "Lol, ha."  Show me someone who can actually not polish off a bag of these in ... 5 seconds.  (Ok, ok, a few minutes ...).

Yeah, they are great.  I only got to try one flavor, but, I'd buy more in a heartbeat.
Sriracha Tempura Seaweed Chips.
"Woodridge Snacks’ Tempura Seaweed snacks are dipped in light batter then gently tempura fried to a delightful crisp. Enjoy just the right touch of Sriracha spiciness. You have just discovered the better chip!"

I selected the Sriracha flavor, going for a big punch.  They delivered in the flavor department, but I was really surprised by the flavor itself - it wasn't simply spicy, and it wasn't classic sriracha flavor.   If you were looking forward to classic sriracha you might be sad, but, I loved it.

The seasoning encompassed a ton of flavors, not only the expected heat from sriracha, but there is also soy sauce powder for some umami, sugar to add a sweet and salty element, vinegar powder for tang ... yeah, its just crazy addicting (side note: I had no idea all these ingredients were available in powder form!).

Then, the batter.  Greasy, no question, these leave oily fingers, and are so very crunchy, which, at least for me, was everything I wanted it to be.  Yes, tempura.  Yes, yes.

The seaweed I honestly couldn't really taste, but, did I care?  Nah.  I had a crispy, flavorful, salty/sweet/umami flavor bomb that I couldn't stop eating.

They are great just as a snack chip, I imagine they'd be awesome tossed on top of a salad, or even dipped in a cooling, creamy dip, but alas, mine never lasted long enough to experiment.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails