Friday, October 23, 2020

Herr's Snack Foods

Yup, another snack food review day.  And yup, another one that features popcorn.  What can I say, I ... really like to munch on things all day long.

"Good people, making good snacks for good times."

Well, that is a simple slogan.  Meet Herr's, a snack food manufacturer that has been around since the 1940's, but I haven't seen all that frequently, even though they are distributed nationwide.  They started in the potato chip business, and expanded from there, seemingly ahead of some treads, already offering things like popcorns in 1978 and onion rings in 1984 (pretzels, cheese curls, tortilla chips, etc as well). 

They now offer 81 different products, including TONS of styles of potato chips (kettle cooked, ripples, classic, baked, etc) in every flavor you'd imagine, including, "hot sauce" or ketchup flavored, "baby back rib" flavor ... Old Bay flavored ... a collab with Grill Mates® to make a "Montreal Steak" flavor ... the list goes on and on.  They make all your standard styles of pretzels (thin, thick, sourdough, sticks, twists, rods, peanut butter filled, etc), every style of cheese snacks (crispy curls, puffy curls, spicy, and a slew of other "interesting" flavors like "deep dish pizza"), corn chips, tortilla chips, seasonal items, and of course, my favorite thing: popcorn.

I'm not sure why this brand has never been on my radar before, as, well, they do produce some interesting items I'd like to try.

Popcorn

Popcorn is available in 11 different varieties, including of course the basic plain, light, butter, several types of cheese, and some spicy options ("hot cheese" or garlic & herb), sweet versions (kettle or caramel corn), and some more unique ones like "sweet corn" flavor, or their "hulless" line, which is popcorn, uh, without the hulls?  not quite sure how they make those.

 Fire Roasted Sweet Corn Popcorn.
"Air-popped and lightly seasoned with the flavor of roasted sweet corn. Herr's® Fire Roasted Sweet Corn Popcorn tastes just like a backyard barbecue."

I grabbed this flavor the instant I saw it.  It sounded SO unique!!!  And it was.  

The popcorn pieces themselves were pretty standard, well popped, decent sized, no unpopped ones remained in the bag.  The flavor however is where this got *really* interesting!

It tasted, like, well, intense corn!  The "fire roasted sweet corn" flavor really did come through (yes, I guess, sugar, salt, dry milk, buttermilk, butter powder, and a slew of other things can be crafted to taste like extremely sweet corn ...).

I enjoyed this quite a bit, and found the flavor shockingly intense every time I had it.

I gave my mom a sample, without telling her what kind it was.  "Bacon?" she said.  And then she pondered some kind of grilled, smoky flavor, which is exactly what the front of the package shows, grilled corn (or, I guess "fire roasted").  We both thought the flavor was quite intense.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails