Thursday, October 15, 2020

Jude's Ice Cream

As you know from my review last week of The Great British Ice Cream Company, I love ice cream and (literally) eat it every day, including when I travel.  I love exploring new brands.

Which led me to another brand in London: Jude's.

"We're a family of ice cream makers. And we're dedicated to crafting unbelievably delicious stripey tubs of joy."
Jude's has a cute background, really, truly a family company, a man and his wife started it in their barn in the country.  The kids joined the effort, took on marketing and awareness gathering, along with sourcing for quality ingredients, etc, etc.   The product was well received, and their business took off.

They now make a wide array of products, including vegan flavors (oat based), low calorie versions (e.g. ~150 calories per tub), ice cream bars on sticks, kid friendly "lolly bars" on sticks (kinda like our fudgicles, but in more flavors, and shaped like popsicles), and even sell their own chocolate, salted caramel, and fudge sauces and packaged milkshakes.  

And don't get me started on some of the flavors.  Sure, they have basic flavors (but even the "vanilla" is actually "vanilla clotted cream"), and all the crowd pleasers like salted caramel, gooey chocolate brownie, rum raisin, mint chocolate chip, etc.  And yes, they have some very British flavors that I really wanted to get my hands on (Sticky Toffee Pudding!), but they also have a "Chef's range", with flavors like black coconut, honeycomb, ginger spice.

My choices were limited however, as I found them in my office ice cream freezer (just the The Great British Ice Cream Company), so, I had to take what they had.  I ... wasn't impressed.
Truly Chocolate.
"With pure Colombian cacao."

This wasn't particularly good.

Not very intense flavor, not very chocolately.
Brown Butter Pecan.
"With Beurre Noisette (brown butter to you and me), swirls of caramel and pecan pieces this flavour will leave you giddy with joy desperately seeking your subsequent scoop!"

Brown Butter Pecan had potential, as I do love pecans and brown butter.  It was better than the chocolate, but, still not very good.

There was only a minimal amount of caramel swirl, and some not awesome candied-ish pecans.  I didn't taste brown butter at all.

It also wasn't very creamy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails