Wednesday, October 14, 2020

The Rock & Sole Plaice, London

When in London, you have to get fish & chips, right?

Except, well, I had a lot of chips on my visit (including highly mediocre ones at Hawksmoor and pretty decent ones at Heddon Street Kitchen, plus many more at venues I didn't write up).  I was sick of chips.

I also wasn't particularly hungry, as most of my day was spent venturing from one foodie destination to the next, and I was solo, no companions with whom to share.  But still, I wanted to experience a *real* fish & chips shop (is this a chippie?), so I headed to one of the oldest fish & chips restaurants in London: Rock & Sole Plaice, in operation since 1871.

I did't care for it, but, to be fair, perhaps I should have ordered something different, and the environment was more of a problem than the food itself.

Setting

Curb Appeal.
From the outside, it had some curb appeal, with information on the exterior about the age and history.
Outside Seating.
Out front is covered picnic tables, with space heaters, available for dine in members only.

There are many signs letting you know this is for dine-in only, as the shop is also a takeaway shop, and the takeaway prices are considerably cheaper.  I'm sure people try to just sit here instead all the time.

Inside is a takeaway shop, or seating.

When I entered, the establishment seemed full, which was not what I wanted, as I was planning to dine in (*not* outside, as it was not warm out.  Oh, London.).
Inside, Room #2.
I was whisked next door, a bit confusing for me, until I realized it was the same establishment.

The first room had the takeaway, kitchen, and first room of seating they fill up.  The second room, next door, had the bar and more seating.  But there was no connection between the rooms, so staff were constantly going between them, opening the front doors, and carrying everything in their hands.  The also often left us entirely unattended, which struck me as odd., as i

This room quickly filled up too.

It was sparse, hard surfaces, cold environment.  Cold.  Very cold.  I don't think they had heating, and the constant opening of doors didn't help.

I'll admit, I was pretty put off by just being so uncomfortable and cold, but, I sat, and ordered.  I was on a mission.

Food

Menu Page 1.
As always, I had done extensive research on the menu online beforehand.

However, when I arrived, it was fairly different.  The front page had the standard fish & chips offerings (including cod, haddock, plaice, rock, skate, sole, etc), some starters, cold sides (cole slaw, salad, and the like), and hot sides (mushy peas, beans, onion rings), along with warm sauces (gravy, curry, cheese, etc).
Menu Page 2.
The back had the more extensive changes though.  Some savory pies and pasties were the same, as were the limited soft drinks, cider, and wine.  But it was the dessert section that was different.  You know what a key piece of the meal this is for me.  The spotted dick I was seeking out was gone!

Doh.  Undeterred, I asked if it was still available.  I was told no.  Doh.

They still had sticky toffee pudding though, available with ice cream, custard, or cream.  I was a bit sick of sticky toffee pudding, having had versions on my flight, at Hawksmoor, at Tibits, and at Heddon Street Kitchen (all of which I've reviewed already!).  I had declared myself "done" with it, but the opportunity to get it one more time, with ... custard  (or cream ... or both?) seemed fine to me.

But ... when I ordered it at the end of my meal, I was told they had only ice cream.  I was way too cold for ice cream, even though I generally adore ice cream (particularly paired with warm desserts).  Sigh.  I gave up and said nevermind.
Individual Squeeze Packets!
Tables came set with malt vinegar bottles, individual ketchup and mayo packets, and salt and pepper shakers.

I'm forever amazed by Heinz single serve packaging in other countries.  Why do we have those little exploding things and they have these larger squeeze packets?
Starter Size Calamari (6). £6.
I decided to mix it up, and instead of getting a full fish and chips dish, went for the fried calamari, also a treat for me, and something a bit different.  I knew it would be very different from calamari we have in the US, often served with marinara sauce, tiny little pieces, etc.

The menu said the starter portion came with 6 calamari, and the entree with 10, but I got 8.  Score?

The starter portion comes with a lemon wedge, and nothing else, but I asked for tartar sauce as well, always, um, a winning element for me.

My calamari came in ... a boat.  That was cute.  The tartar sauce came in a plastic takeout container.  I assumed this was because I added it on, but then I saw the person next to me get the same thing with her regular dine-in fish & chips.  Interesting.

Anyway.  The calamari was fine.  Large rings, thick pieces, not standard little appetizer rings like we see in the US.  Which I knew, because, otherwise, um, 6 little calamari rings is not much food.  It wasn't rubbery, it wasn't fishy.  It was fine.

The coating was thick and crispy, well flavored.  But very oily.  Very, very oily.  It got to be too much, even with this small portion.

Overall, decent execution, and I enjoyed it I guess, but, I wouldn't get it again.

The tartar sauce was just strange.  It was herby, and smooth and thinner than I expected, and really seemed more like ranch dressing.  Again, I questioned if they just gave me something odd to go along with my request to have tartar sauce where it isn't normally served, but, the others had the same thing.  It wasn't bad, it just wasn't thick, it wasn't pickle-filled or capery, it wasn't what I think of as tartar sauce at all.  I ended up preferring a "secret sauce" I made up by mixing the ketchup and mayo on the table.  On well.

At £1 per calamari ring, this felt a bit expensive.
Rock & Sole Plaice Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails