Thursday, December 09, 2021

Brownie Points

Brownie Points is a kinda cute company.  Obviously, the name is cute, but so is the story: a pair of sisters-in-law, both had passion for brownies but "real" jobs, eventually quit their jobs, started a brownie company together, and now are well known for their brownies after getting accolades on national TV.

"Baking the world a better place one brownie at a time."

Brownie Points mostly makes a large collection of bite sized brownies, but also offers up unique items like Bruffles (like cake pops, but made from brownies and ganache instead of cake and buttercream, and without sticks),  assorted cookies, dipped pretzels, and flavored popcorn.  All are available mail-order and in assorted types of gift boxes.

Brownies

The flavor lineup for brownies is vast, literally more than 100 flavors, ranging from fairly simple classic fudge, raspberry caramel fudge, chocolate caramel sea salt, double chocolate chunk, red velvet, and the like, to tempting sounding "cookie jar", "candy cookie crunch", and birthday cake versions, to seasonal items like ginger snickerdoodle, candy cane crunch, and chocolate babka.  Then there are boozy options like gingerbread eggnog, twisted peppermint, brandied pumpkin, whiskey cake & irish cream, brown butter bourbon, gluten-free choices, and a slew of blondie based creations.  Yes, all brownies, or, really, bars.
"Original" Kitchen Sink.
"A Brownie Points original! We’ve taken our moist chocolate baby brownie and added four kinds of chocolate, peanut butter chunks, butterscotch pieces, buttery toffee and drizzled it with caramel. Everything but the kitchen sink!"

Their signature brownie is the "Original" Kitchen Sink.

Ok, this really did have a lot of stuff in it.  Semi-sweet larger chocolate "drops", dark, milk, and white chocolate wafers, butterscotch chips, peanut butter wafers, toffee bits ... and chewy gooey caramel on top ... all on top of a decently dark brownie.  The only thing it was missing was some kind of nuts, which, actually I kinda wanted.

You would think that with so much going on the flavors and elements might get muddled, but actually it was fine.  I liked the sweet gooey chewy caramel on top and the sweet toffee, I appreciated my one bite with peanut butter,  and all the chocolates added some depth.  And the brownie itself, underneath all that, was good too, pretty rich chocolate flavor, nicely moist.

I liked it at room temperature, but it was even better warmed up slightly and served with some ice cream.  I'd have another when craving a very sweet decently decadent treat.

****.
Red Velvet.

"There's something about red velvet that always makes you feel good inside. Introducing our decadent Red Velvet Brownie filled with fresh butter cream frosting. Make every occasion a special occasion when you serve Brownie Points Red Velvet Brownies!"

My second brownie was red velvet, and I drawn in because it had frosting included.  So much promise, but wow, not my thing.

The cake, or brownie I guess, dense like an odd brownie, not moist and light like a cake, but did taste a little like cocoa like a brownie ... just kinda an odd texture.

Red Velvet: Inside.

And then ... inside.

It was a lot of frosting! I love frosting, but this was a bit much, just, cloying sweet.  The frosting sorta tasted like coconut too, not a cream cheese filling like normally seen with red velvet.

So overall, this was a flop for me - too sweet (yes, apparently that can happen to me?!), and meh on the cake.  **.

Until, that is, I warmed it up, and served it a la mode.  Once warm, and paired with ice cream, it was considerably better.  I wouldn't purchase another, but, I enjoyed it that way.  ***+.

Popcorn

While clearly known for the brownies, Brownie Points also makes a variety of flavored popcorns, 24 in all, mostly sweet, but some savory.  Obviously I adore popcorn, and sweet popcorn, so I had to try one.
Posh Pumpkin Pie.
"Our Creamy Pumpkin Pie gourmet popcorn drizzled in white chocolate with cinnamon sugar. "

Ok, so this sounded kinda great.  Or potentially awful.  I like white chocolate ... but that, plus cinnamon sugar, plus pumpkin pie spices?  I was skeptical.

The bag was a laughably small portion, but, after just one bite, I understood why.  This was sweet.  Crazy sweet.  More than a few pieces at a time was just too much, even for sweet loving me.  It did taste like pumpkin pie spices, which makes sense as it had cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves in it.

I liked how crispy it was from the white chocolate drizzle, but, wow, just so sweet.  I think it would be better mixed with some salty kettle corn to mellow it out.

***.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find them?  Or did you order online?

    The web site says "Now in Stores Near You!" but doesn't say which stores ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them as part of a gift box, I think the sender ordered online.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails