Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Lufthansa Business Class Lounge, Munich

This was my first time visiting a Lufthansa Lounge, but my understanding is that they are all fairly similar.  This visit was in Munich.

Setting

Since I was connecting in Frankfurt my flight from Munich was just a simple domestic flight, which meant I had access to the Business Class Lounge in the G gates area, for Schengen traffic.  Not a huge lounge, but, decent.
Light filled.
The lounge was well light, abundant natural light from the windows, with nice views over the tarmac.  

Most seating was in arm chairs.
Work Cubbies.

For those who wanted a little isolation, there was a row of work cubes.

High Counters.

I appreciated the standing height counter (with power outlets!), so I could stretch my legs, long day of flying didn't make me want to sit more.

Food & Drink

I wasn't really in the lounge to work though, I was there to check out the food and drink offerings.
Candy & Snacks!
The moment I walked in, I found the thing I was most excited for.  The reason I made sure I had plenty of time at the airport.  Candy jars.  All kinds of sweets.  Savory snacks.  Oh yes.

I knew to expect these, and was thrilled to see them as soon as I walked in.

For candy items, there were gummy bears, some kind of chewy candy, m&ms, and some red chewy things.  Savories included pretzels, seasoned peanuts, chips.  There were also banana chips, little wafers of some kind, and ... zomg, peanut bamba puffs!

This was all fairly average quality, but I was happy to have candy and I do love peanut bamba quite a bit.  The chips were just plain chips. **** overall, *** for the chips/banana chips.
Fruit.
There was no cut fruit anywhere, but apples, oranges, and kiwi were available to grab.  Kiwi seemed like a bit of an odd choice to me, as that is kinda hard to just grab and eat, but I appreciated it nonetheless.
Salad.
The salad station consisted of a salad with interesting mixed greens and apple slices, roast cherry tomatoes, potato salad, and curry cabbage slaw.

The tomatoes were actually rather flavorful, juicy, just, a bit odd to have roast tomatoes rather than fresh.

The salad base was not the freshest, lots of brown bits, but I liked that it had frisee.  

The potato salad is a signature Lufthansa lounge dish, but I didn't care for it.  Too tangy and mushy for me.  German style, obviously.

The highlight was the flavorful curry cabbage slaw.  I mixed it with the green salad base and roast tomatoes and quite enjoyed it.

Not the strongest salad lineup, but, I was happy enough in the end.

***.
Beef broth with semolina dumplings. 
Pan-fried vegetables with small peas, pear wedges, and leeks.
Next came the hot foods.

Rather than a soup exactly, there was a broth with dumplings.  The broth had a reasonably good flavor, nicely seasoned, but the dumplings were basically just plain balls of mush.

The veggies looked pretty awful - like they'd been sitting there forever, were quite mushy, and, um, why was there pears in the mix?

**.
Paprika Chicken with Spinach Gnocchi.
The other hot item, a bit of an odd pairing, were you supposed to put the chicken stew on the gnocchi?  I tried the gnocchi, but they weren't particularly flavorful and were rather gummy.  About what you'd expect from a buffet.

Eh.

**+.

Later in my stay this was replaced by a chicken and noodles dish.
Pretzels!
Besides the candy station, there was another that I was on the lookout for.  The other signature Lufthansa lounge feature: a pretzel wall!

Hanging on hooks were salt or plain pretzels when I arrived, and later it had sunflower seed ones too.

I had a lot of mediocre pretzels in Germany, and I was shocked by how good these were.  Definitely the best I had during my entire stay.  Great crust, nice chew, well salted.  Really, just nice pretzels.

***+.
Rolls, Cheesy Pretzels.
And then there were ... cheesy pretzels!  These were even better.  Sooo much cheese melted on, and really really tasty.  Again, best pretzels I had in Germany, no question.  ****.

There were also some rolls that I didn't try.
Cheesecake cream red berries and biscuit.
I also knew to expect two desserts, one was just a bundt cake that I didn't try, and the other seems to always be some kind of pudding, one of my favorite types of desserts.  

This ... didn't really match my expectations.  "Cheesecake cream" really tasted like, um, yogurt?  It was smooth and creamy, and very tangy.  Not bad for yogurt, but, not really sweet enough to be dessert for me, and, definitely not cheesecake.  I wonder if this was a translation thing, really, more like quark ("cheese")?

The "red berries" was a fruity compote, which was sweet enough to be dessert, but also worked well as a breakfast yogurt parfait, as this really was in my mind.

Finally, the base layer, "biscuit".  Fairly soft, just mush at the base.

I really do think that as a breakfast yogurt parfait I might have enjoyed this, but, it certainly was not a cheesecake to me.

**+.
Drinks.
Self service bar area had two red wines, some sparkling and white, and basic spirits line up.  I didn't try any.

There was also a coffee machine, tea bags, beer on tap, and sparkling water on tap, along with fountain drinks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails