Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Swiss Airlines, Business Class, ZHR-MUC

As part of my trip to Munich, I flew on Swiss Airlines with a connection in Zurich.  The trip took an unexpected turn when I had to upgrade to First Class, which meant I had an incredible fine dining meal in the Zurich lounge.  I wasn't planning to eat on my flight to Munich, nor did I even really expect there to be a meal, as the flight was, literally, 40 minutes long.

But there was a meal.  The flight was ridiculously empty, only 4 of us in the front of the aircraft, which is European business class (e.g. just normally middle seats blocked).  In this case we all had multiple rows to ourselves.  As soon as they could, our cabin crew sprang to life and offered us a meal, along with wines and other drinks.  I honestly think it was like 7 minutes from takeoff when I had a meal in front of me.  They put US airlines to shame.

Snack Platter.
So, my "snack".

I don't know what this was, really. There were no options, no description given, just this platter offered. I was quite full from my First Class lounge dining just before, and my First Class flight late dinner and breakfast before that, AND it was only 10:30am in my world, but this was strangely good. I'm glad I tried it, hunger or not.
Mystery Savories.

The first item seemed to be a grainy nut bread (soft, not dried out, great texture, loved the crunch from walnut), with some kind of ... creamy fluffy spread.  Honestly, no clue what it was.  Not tangy enough to be cream cheese, light and fluffy, kinda maybe a slight aspect of egg or paprika to it?  Squash?  I really don't know, but I found it strangely really quite enjoyable.  Jetlag?  Captive audience?  No idea why, but, I found this so good.  I wasn't hungry, but devoured it.  I still wish I knew what it was.  ****.

The other open faced sandwich thing was less delicious, just white bread, with a little bit of aioli or mayo, a slice of roast beef, and a slice of hard boiled egg.  There was nothing wrong with this, but I think I just wasn't into the roast beef. ***.

Pot of Joy!

And then, the little pot of joy!  Yes, I adored my cheesecake in the First Class Lounge, but this was a very tasty little pot.  Creamy sweet vanilla pudding (panna cotta?), sweet and fruity strawberry base.  Much much better than most international business class desserts, let alone this short little hop.  It was also far better than the First Class dessert on my earlier flight, but, that was US based catering, and this was out of Zurich. ****+.

To complete our meal, we were given little bars of Swiss chocolate.

40 minute flight, food I couldn't identify, but, really quite good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails