Thursday, September 22, 2022

Virtual Teakup

It was an unusually warm day in San Francisco, and a group at work was having a social at Spark Social, the food truck park not that far from the office.  Hot weather called for many things, like some excellent onion rings from the Sarap Shop truck (review coming soon!), paired with a lighter platter from Rasa Rasa, but after I was done feasting on savory food, it was time to seek out something sweet.

I had many options, ranging from fresh donuts, to deep fried cheesecake, to hand pies, but, I was more in the mood for something refreshing and cool ... like, bubble tea.  Luckily, Spark Social had just the place: Virtual Teakup.

"Here at Virtual Teakup, we don’t take any shortcuts when it comes to your boba. We take pride in cooking our bobas daily in small batches and serving them warm with the right amount of sweetness. Our teas are brewed fresh and our toppings are made from scratch in house. In doing so, we’re able to offer our customers high-quality drinks on-the-go at reasonable prices. Follow us and find out our next creations!"

The truck is a regular vendor at Spark Social, and had quite the line, again, likely given the weather.  Drinks were prepared quickly.  Unlike most of the trucks, they did not have a tablet or other digital ordering system, which I thought was ironic given that they were the "Virtual" one.

Food Truck.

The menu at Virtual Teakup trends heavily in the "dessert" direction, only one is really a classic bubble tea.  The rest are things like the "Cheesecake Spundae" with cheesecake and crema and berries, or a Instagram worthy "Cloud 9" with cotton candy and butterfly pea flower, or the seemingly very popular Creme Brulee.

Boba, jellies, cheesecake, and a few other things can be added in, but there aren't that many mix-ins available.  Only regular dairy, no soy or alternatives offered.

Pink Dragon (Less Sweet). $6.45.
"Dragon fruit puree, milk, brown sugar and yogurt. (contains dairy, no caffeine)."

I kinda randomly picked the Pink Dragon. For some reason, dragon fruit called out, as did the yogurt.  I've been kinda into yogurt drinks lately.  I got it less sweet.

My order was prepared very quickly.  It looked nothing like the image on the menu, with the base of dragonfruit, the topping dripping down  ... it looked like homogenous pink milk.

And it tasted ... like homogenous pink milk.  I did not taste dragon fruit.  I did not taste yogurt.  No tang, no thinkness.  I just tasted milk.  That happened to be pink.  I'm still quite confused, as I certainly didn't get the wrong drink, there are no other menu items that would be just pink milk either.

This was, hands down, the most boring drink I've had from a bubble tea shop, and I'm still curious if something just went wrong ... shouldn't I have at least tasted yogurt?  It was, um, fine for milk, but, totally and completely not what I was expecting.

** because it was fine milk?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails