Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Violet's Tavern

Violet's is a tavern by name, but really, I think American gastropub is likely more fitting.  It is located in the Outer Richmond, so I didn't visit it myself, but found it one day when I was browsing around on Door Dash.   While the menu definitely has a bar food vibe, fried chicken and burgers seem to be big hits, it also has a bit more sophistication, and seems to change frequently with the seasons.  Plus, they make their desserts in house, and have a great cocktail program.  So, even if I wasn't going to venture there, I was kinda drawn in, although I knew reviews were mostly for the bar aspects of the place, not the cuisine.

I ordered easily on Door Dash, and my order was quickly confirmed, but it somehow took more than an hour from the time my Dasher picked up my order until they arrived at my apartment.  The actual food experience was abysmal, but I did quite enjoy my cocktail.

Side note: Stuck doing a lot of takeout and delivery these days? Want to try some free food and new pickup or delivery services?  Here are some codes for free money!

  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Door Dash ($15 off, $5 each of your first 3 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Caviar ($20 off, $10 off your first 2 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Ritual ($6 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Delivery.com ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Grub Hub ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Seamless ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Allset ($5 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Uber Eats ($20 off - use code eats-lejw5 at checkout) [ Pickup or delivery ]

Drinks

Violet's is a tavern by name, but, they are known for their cocktail program.   While the cocktail menu at the tavern is quite extensive, only a few are available for delivery, in single servings or doubles.  I honestly wanted them all, as their plays on my standard two drinks, a negroni and an old fashioned, were two of the three options.
Violet Skies. $23.
"Butterfly pea flower mezcal, city of London gin, Ventura strawberry brandy, Rothman & Winter creme de Violette, Kalani coconut, lemon, scrappy’s grapefruit bitters."

I was drawn to Violet's for one of their signature drinks, the aptly named "Violet Skies".  A drink, when served at the restaurant, made for Instagram, no question.  A lovely shade of purple.  But also, the ingredients just sounded good to me, and I was on a bit of a mezcal kick, after quite enjoying a mezcal based cocktail from International Smoke the week before (review coming soon!)

The drink was as beautiful a shade of purple as it looked in all the photos I had seen.  Really, lovely, and I think the color came from trendy butterfly pea flower, which you usually see in bubble tea shops these days.  It was a remarkably well crafted and balanced drink.  The mezcal gave it a smokiness, the gin some boozy depth, the strawberry brandy a touch of sweetness balanced by the grapefruit bitters, the coconut liqueur and creme de violette even more complexity ... so much in it, but, they came together in harmony really.  

The bottle said to serve over ice or up, and I preferred it with some ice.  

I quite liked this, and would get it again, or really, it inspired me to try more of their cocktails.  ****.

Food

On the food side, the menu has a few appetizers (fries, chips and dip, and a couple others that are constantly changing), two token salads, a burger or fried chicken sandwich, and their signature fried chicken, along with a seasonal vegetarian special.  Desserts are always changing, but I think the "Big Ass Chocolate Chip Cookie" is a menu regular.  They do offer a few more dishes for dine-in, but they weren't on Door Dash.
Summer Garden Pasta. $24.
"Kohlrabi noodles, cherry tomatoes, corn, squash." -- DoorDash
"Noodles of Kohlrabi in Truffle Cream w/ Parmesan & Summer Vegetables" -- Their Menu

I had a couple of very indulgent nights in a row, and was looking for something lighter and healthier.  I also was really craving truffles (I know, random, but I had a fantastic truffle sauce with my scallops from Isa - review coming soon! - a few days prior, and I just wanted more truffle goodness), and I was eager to get a bit more corn before summer really passed us by (it was mid-September).  I saw Violet post this dish on their Instagram, and I was immediately sold.  It sounded perfect for my mood.  Granted, I don't love kohlrabi, but it sounded refreshing, and yet comforting at the same time as it was quasi-pasta, and would have cream sauce.  And, um, truffles and corn!

Since my delivery took so long, it was stone cold when it arrived, and all lumped together in one side of the big box it came in.  Ok, it clearly suffered from transit.  Also, the sauce had broken, was a big pool of oil.  Still, I had hope.

I tried a bite of the completely cold dish, and, wow, I did NOT like it.  The kohlrabi was fine, but, the sauce ... it just didn't taste good at all.  The taste was odd, and it absolutely did not taste like truffle at all (honestly, maybe they changed the dish to not included truffle?  There wasn't even a hint of it).  And it was so, so, so oily.  Sorta sour oil and grease.  

I was really hungry by this point, and persevered, heating it up, but, the taste was really unappealing, and the greasy factor just got worse.  The corn was actually good, and I liked the burst tomatoes, and even the breadcrumbs, but, it was all just so oily, and so odd tasting, it was impossible to eat more than a few bites.  I rarely, rarely give up on a dish and hate food waste, but, I extracted a bit more corn and tomatoes from this, and down the disposal it went.

I truly disliked this, and it absolutely was not worth the $24. *.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails