Friday, October 28, 2022

Funyuns

I was 40 years old when I had my first Funyun.  Yes, really.  I don't know why, but Funyuns had never crossed my path earlier in life.  Sure, I had seen them perhaps, but, just never actually came about having them in my possession.  But then the pandemic happened, and I started eating a lot of chips, and eventually, that meant Funyuns.
"FUNYUNS® Onion Flavored Rings are a deliciously different snack that’s fun to eat, with a crisp texture and zesty onion flavor. Next time you're in the mood for a tasty treat that's out of the ordinary, try FUNYUNS® Onion Flavored Rings."
Funyuns aren't really chips though, but rather, cornmeal based flavored rings.  While new to me, they aren't new to this world, as they were invented in 1969.  They are a product of Frito-Lay (which I've reviewed before), but keep up their separate brand identity, even though they come in only two flavors:the original basic onion flavor, and a newer addition, "Flamin' Hot" (although they had a few others at different times, they never lasted more than a year or two each).
Original Flavor.
I tried my first Funyun.  Well, hmm.

It was crunchy, and oniony.  I think I liked it.  But ... I was so confused what it was made of.  These look like onion rings, but, clearly aren’t.  They are not actually made of onion for the most part, but, are onion ring shaped at least.  The base is corn meal and potato, and they are coated in flavorful blend of buttermilk, soy protein, corn protein, oils, sugar, dextrose, several kinds of flour, MSG ... oh, and garlic powder and onion powder.  Definitely not wholesome, and definitely not onion dominant.

These shouldn’t be good, but, after two bites, I was pretty hooked.  "Amazing", I quickly jotted down.  

I've had them several times since that first try, and each time, I'm again fairly pleased with them.  Such unique texture, great crunch, and very addicting.  However, maybe I've just been unlucky, but nearly every bag I've gotten has been largely broken pieces, not full rings.  I think they'd be even better in full ring form. 

**** for the eating experience, no matter how unwholesome they are.
Flamin' Hot.
Next, I tried the other flavor, Flamin' Hot. Ok, so I kinda loved these too.  Yes, the trendy "Flamin' Hot" variety of Funyuns.

I still don't entirely know what they are made of, but, they are crunchy and airy and light and truly just fun to eat.  Oh, hey, maybe I get it now ... they are "fun" to eat "onions" ... "fun-yun" ...

The Flamin' Hot flavor was not actually all that spicy, but was quite flavorful, zesty.  In addition to the laundry list of ingredients from the original flavor, these also incorporate several kinds of cheese (romano, cheddar), which I didn't expect, as I didn't taste cheese at all, and, what does cheese have to do with "Flamin"?  There is also no chili nor other hot ingredient listed, which makes sense why I didn't taste anything actually spicy.  They did however *look* quite flamin'.  The Flamin' Hot color I believe comes from tomato powder.  

Anyway, I liked these even more than the originals, and I'd gladly get them again too.  And just like the originals, my bag was all broken up bits, not a single full ring in this one.

****.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails