Monday, November 21, 2022

Wendy's

It had been many, many, many years since I went to a Wendy's.  In fact, it is quite possible that I had not had anything from Wendy's since 1999, the year I graduated from college.  Wendy's was a big part of my high school years - the place we went once my friends got their driver's licenses, where we'd always get items off the $1 menu: a Biggie fries, small chili with cheese, and a drink.  $3 total, and a totally satisfying meal.  It was our thing (and, novel to me, as my family never went to Wendy's growing up, which is odd, given that we did family fast food night every Saturday, and yet, it was never Wendy's ...).

Anyway, quite literally, I likely hadn't had anything from Wendy's in ... 24 years?  And yet, when I was at the Houston Airport, that is where I went.   Why?  Well, there was a sign advertising that they had the seasonal special ...  

Medium Peppermint Frosty (Seasonal).
The special was a limited edition flavor of the classic Frosty: peppermint.  If you aren't familiar, the Frosty is their version of a hybrid milkshake-soft serve ice cream.  While I love ice cream, and soft serve in particular, I've actually had very few Frostys in my life.  Like I said, my visits were for the $1 menu trifecta of fries, chili, drink, and, we lived in a town with good soft serve, so why would I get Frostys?  I think I probably have had fewer than 5 in my life, and generally they were gotten just so I could dip my fries in them.

I didn't really know if I'd like this or not, but, hey, I was in the airport, could use a snack, and they had the special flavor.  It seemed like a good use of 5 bored minutes.  I tried to order the smallest size, Junior, but I was told they didn't have Junior.   Ok, I'd just get a small.  Nor did they have small.  At the airport, everything was big, and pricey.  Ok, the medium it was, for nearly $4.  It was handed over quickly by the cashier, who dispensed it from the magic Frosty machine.
Peppermint Frosty.
The peppermint Frosty is literally just vanilla Frosty, with peppermint syrup added (including, red #40).  It was softer, more drinkable than I remember a Frosty being ... I thought part of the joy of a Frosty was the fact that it wasn't a milkshake, and was thicker, and thus, so great for dipping fries?  It was still amazingly light and fluffy, and a nice consistency, but, not quite the thickness I remembered.  

It was not particularly peppermint-y.  At least it wasn't a fake medicinal flavor, but, honestly, besides the pink color, I'm not sure I would have known it wasn't just a vanilla Frosty, albeit seemingly sweeter than what I remembered.

So, not minty, and not as thick as I thought a Frosty was supposed to be.  It was slightly novel, but, not particularly good, and definitely not worth $4.  I wouldn't get this again. **+.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails