Wednesday, September 13, 2023

KanaHashi Sushi, Brooklyn

Ordering sushi for delivery is not something I had ever done, nor even thought about doing, until this past year.  To me, sushi is generally an extravagance, and something I'd want as fresh as possible, so, just never something I'd even think of getting delivered.

And then I did it once, and realized the beauty of being able to just order a few pieces that I'm specifically craving, to round out other food I have at home.  I don't need to do a sit down omakase to enjoy the funk of some nice uni.  Or king crab legs.  Which is exactly what I did, when I ordered from KanaHashi Sushi, while recently staying in Brooklyn.

I ordered on DoorDash, and was quite impressed with both the restaurant and Dasher speed.  I placed my order as I boarded the L train leaving my office in Manhattan, and the order, and I, both arrived home within 2 minutes of each other, <15 minutes later.

Since I didn't visit in person, I can't tell you about the restaurant itself, but, I can tell you that I was impressed with my order, Yelpers agree, and the menu is extensive (which often isn't a good sign, but, it turned out fine).  I'd gladly return, to try more sushi, but also some of their interesting appetizers, and even desserts.
Manhattan.  $12.
I was pleased that KanaHashi offered their full cocktail menu for delivery, which isn't particularly common.

My cocktail came very well wrapped up.  I had to laugh at the cocktail stirrers on top, but, it was a nice touch.
Manhattan.
I was impressed with the drink in some ways.  They included the garnish of a slice of lime, and not one, but two maraschino cherries.  The ice level was appropriate (although I normally ask for no ice in delivery cocktails since they generally arrive watered down, luckily not a problem here since it was so fast).

But it was ... cloudy.  And tasted kinda fruity.  Not mai tai level fruity, but, fruity.  Yes, I could taste some booze, but, it really didn't taste like a traditional Manhattan.  I couldn't get past the very cloudy nature or sweetness.  **.
Jumbled Sushi.
My poor sushi!

Clearly, this suffered majorly in transit.  The restaurant wasn't far away, and it arrived quickly, but, wow, so jumbled.  I'm curious what mode of transportation my Dasher used.

Much like the cocktail, I appreciated the extra garnishes and touches KanaHashi included, such as the bed of shredded daikon swirls, a shiso leaf, thin sliced red radish, and a sculpted cucumber, along with ginger and wasabi mound.  Jumbled presentation aside, these components elevated the delivery experience.
King Crab Sashimi. $12.
Who orders king crab from a sushi restaurant?  Yes, cooked crab.  I'm not quite sure why it jumped out at me (I think because I was debating between ordering sushi, or a lobster roll, or crab cakes), but, I'm glad it did.  It had been ages since I have had king crab.  It really is, uh, the king of crab?

The serving was 3 pieces, one much smaller than the other two.  They were thick pieces, quite meaty, and tasted remarkably fresh, and flavorful.  I'm sure this is not a popular opinion, but, king crab > lobster.  It was like everything I always want lobster to be, but it never quite is.

For $12, this seemed pretty reasonable, and was a great opportunity to get to have some king crab in a smaller quantity.  Normally you have to order by the pounds of legs, and that is usually $$$.

I quite enjoyed it, and would gladly get again.  ****.
Hokkaido Uni. $16.
After a bit of searching, I managed to uncover my poor uni.  This was a seasonal special from Hokkaido, rather than the more local Maine variety.  I thought I ordered nigiri, but it came as sashimi, which was totally fine with me.

It was decent.  Creamy.  Good level of funk, didn't taste bad.  Not the best uni I've had, but satisfying, and clearly fresh as well.  

And again the price and portion were reasonable, there was more here than I expected, that mound goes pretty deep.  I think they may have incorrectly given me the sashimi portion, which generally is larger than individual nigiri.  ***+.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails