Friday, December 15, 2023

Lillie's of Charleston Gullah Pop

Regular readers of my blog will know how much I adore snacks, in particular, popcorn.  I'm always eager to try more brands, particularly ones with interesting flavors.  My seeking out of interesting popcorn lead me to Lillie's of Charleston.

Lillie's of Charleston isn't primarily a popcorn distributor, but rather, they make hot sauces, BBQ sauces, and spice mixes.  The use their spice mixed however to create a line of 3 popcorns, known as "Gullah Pop".
"Get ready to experience the taste of the South with Gullah Pop's gourmet popcorns. These tasty treats are made with organic and non-GMO popcorn that's popped to perfection in pure coconut oil. The popcorn is then coated in our 100% natural seasoning blends to create a unique and irresistible flavor explosion that'll leave you wanting more."

You can only buy the Gullah Pop as a trio of flavors, so, I tried them all.  I was highly underwhelmed by them all -  the flavors were muted, the popcorn mediocre.  I wouldn't get these again, but did finish all my bags with no problem.

Savory Flavor: Ho-Lotta Hissy Fit.

"For a spicy kick."

First up, the spicy one: Ho-Latta Hissy Fit.

This was ok, but not great.  The popcorn itself wasn't remarkable, pretty average size kernels, average texture.  The seasoning wasn't as strong as I'd like, which is sad as it was flavorful enough seasoning, but, even though some pieces looked pretty coated, it didn't have much flavor.

I'm not quite sure what the seasoning was, as the ingredients just say "spice" and "salt", along with popcorn and coconut oil, but the flavor was lightly bbq flavored, more mild than most bbq chips.  A faint hint of something spicy.

So, overall, average popcorn, mild seasoning.  Eh.  No reason to get this again.  Low ***.

Haut Pimento Cheese.

"For some cheesy goodness." 

Next up, "haut" pimento cheese.  I felt much the same way about this as the previous.  It was ok, but not actually anything worth getting again.  The popcorn was unremarkable, the seasoning was medium-strong on some pieces, but lacking on many.  It was very vaguely cheesy, and I didn't taste anything "haut" or pimento about it, although I guess it had paprika.  

Just very mild average popcorn. **+.
Lemon Peppa.
"For a zesty twist."

The last flavor I tried was the one I was least excited for, Lemon Peppa.  It turned out to be the only one that actually delivered much flavor.  That said, I didn't particularly like the flavor.

It was very ... vibrant?  Lots of zing/zest, which I could somewhat imagine saying was lemon-like.  A bit of pepper too.  And, it was the only one of the trio that I could really taste the coconut oil used.  If you like lemon, pepper, and coconut oil, this one at least really did have some flavor to it.  The popcorn itself was average, but, zing it did have.

Still just a **+ for me as the flavors weren't ones I really care for, but, better than the others in actually having flavor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails