Friday, February 09, 2024

Kurkure

As you know, I love all snacks.  And I really adore trying random products and flavors from other countries.  These combined to lead me to Kurkure, an Indian snack brand.   I can't find much information about the Kurkure brand though, besides that it is a subsidiary of Pepsico India Holdings Pvt. Ltd.

I've been told that Kurkure is a "famous munching snack of India", which most definitely has my name all over it.  I'm all about munching.  I tried only one of their flavors of the product ("Naughty Tomato"), but they also come in other Indian spiced varieties such as Chili Chatka, Masala Munch, and green chutney.  After the success of the one I tried, I'd gladly try more flavors ... if I ever see them somewhere again.
Naughty Tomato.
"Hot and Spicy snack with the tomato flavor and a sweet and sour flair."

"Kurkure Naughty Tomato is a delicious and crunchy snack that will tantalize your taste buds. Made with high-quality cornmeal and rice flour, this snack is seasoned with a unique blend of spices that gives it a tangy and spicy tomato flavor. It's perfect for those who love to indulge in a snack that's fun and naughty."

"Hot and spicy snack similar to Cheetos, with a tomato flavor and a sweet and sour flair!"

I truly had no idea what to expect with this product.  I was a bit surprised to open the bag to see what looked much like crunchy Cheetos, but, more red (akin to the Flamin' Hot Cheetos).  They were awesomely crunchy, and had a far more interesting base flavor, made from rice, corn, and gram meal, rather than just corn meal like Cheetos.  I really did like the form factor, even though I don't like crunchy Cheetos themselves.

And then ... the flavor.  These tasted like a Bloody Mary.  Or, at least what I assume a Bloody Mary tastes like.  I can't say I really recall ever having ordered one, although I assume at some point in my early 20s I must have been at a brunch with one?  Ok, maybe the flavor is more like spicy V8 (also not something I gravitate towards, but I've had that at least once in the past 10 years ...).  They did have a strong tomato flavor, and were spicy (chili powder), but also there was lots of other vegetable flavor (onion and garlic for sure), and then a ton of complexity on the finish due to spices like cinnamon, clove, ginger, and nutmeg.  Oh, and some sweetness, as sugar is added too.

I can safely say that my brain didn't know what to make of these.  They looked like very familiar Cheetos,  had a great crunch, and tasted like a spicy V8, with a splash of chai.  Whaaaa?

This was a very unique product for me, and I devoured the entire bag (which, oops, is supposed to be 3 servings) in one (very brief) sitting.  So fascinating.  I'd love to try other flavors!  ****.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails