Friday, September 06, 2024

Vegan Rob's

As you likely know, I love my snacks.  I'm an avid snacker.  I have my favorites of course, but I love trying new products.  Which brought me to discover Vegan Rob's, even though I am not vegan.
"Take a deep breath, exhale, focus on the moment and what you are doing for yourself. Feed your inner soul by reducing stress and anxiety with the crunch! Vegan Rob’s® puffs are made with organic sorghum, an environmentally friendly, drought resistant crop. eating our plant- based snacks is better for everyone and supports your compassion for all life."

Vegan Rob's, as you can guess from the name, obviously makes vegan products.  Their goods are also gluten-free, non-GMO, organic, etc.

So what does Vegan Rob's actually make? A not necessarily enticing sounding product line of whole grain sorghum puffs.  They are available in 5 flavors, starting with simple cauliflower or cheddar flavors, and livening up a bit with beet, "dragon", and Bombay flavors.  All use the same base.  I've tried all but the beet and Bombay puffs. 

Cauliflower Puffs (2021).
"Vegan Rob’s® Cauliflower Puffs are delicious, crunchy and so yum!! They are a good source of Vitamin C and an Excellent Source of Thiamin and Riboflavin. Just one bite and you will fall in love!"

The first I tried were the simple cauliflower puffs, a few years ago.  They were actually pretty good.  

Puffy, great crunch. Don't taste odd from sorghum.  Good flavors from onion and garlic seasoning, and some nutritional yeast to make a bit "cheesy".  A nice savory crispy snack.  I found them very munchable, which is important in a snack.

They do not taste like cauliflower however, as the cauliflower is just a powder, so if you wanted something very cauliflower-y, these would not impress.

***, I don't go for r snacks like this often, but they were good for what they were.
Cauliflower Puffs (2024).
I didn't realize I had tasted these before, and tried them again 3 years later, without seeing my notes.  Very interesting to see how differently I felt about them this time.

Well ... um ... these taste healthy.  Perhaps a bit too healthy.  I really do like the puff form factor, and they are crazy crispy, but, the flavor is not one that makes you feel the tiniest bit indulgent (they aren't actually all that healthy, a bag is still 170 calories and 9 grams of fat, so not really any different from actual normal cheese puffs ...).

They taste strongly of what I suppose is sorghum, and are quite savory, with dominant nutritional yeast and garlic/onion/pepper/salt along with the cauliflower powder.  A touch too bitter for me.  They remind me of Hippeas (similar concept, chickpea based, review coming soon), although I like these considerably more.

But if you want to snack and feel a bit healthier, and want something a bit generically savory and a bit bland, they aren't bad tasting.  ***.
Dragon Puffs.
"Vegan Rob’s® Dragon Puffs are so delicious, they will change your life forever! These puffs are made with the finest ingredients including serrano peppers from Mexico. They go from smoky, to spicy, then cool and satisfy that spicy and crunchy desire to feed your inner soul. You're going to wonder how it all happened!"

Next up, take the same puffs, but make them ... DRAGON!  E.g. add some heat!  The puffs looked the same in terms of shape and size, and had the same base savory coating of onion/garlic/salt/nutritional yeast, but, yes, were a brilliant fire-y orange/red (from paprika).  The serrano chili pepper powder did the job well, these had a pretty great kick.

So, great form factor, and hit of intense flavor?  Now we are talking.  While they still do have a somewhat healthy taste to them, these I really do enjoy.  ****.

Update Review: I've found myself reaching for these more and more, and they've really grown on me.  Love the kick and the form factor.
Brussel Sprout Puffs (Discontinued).
A few years ago I also had the brussels sprouts puffs.  They have since been discontinued, which I fully support.

They basically look and taste the same as the others, but even more bitter and healthy. I'm not into nutritional yeast flavor on these.  **.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails