Friday, October 09, 2026

Power Crunch

Power Crunch is a brand that primarily makes protein wafer bars, but they experimented with a protein chip product line too.  As an avid snacker, but also someone who is conscious of protein intake, of course I wanted to try these out.

Protein CRISPS

"PERFECT POTATO CHIP ALTERNATIVE: The Power Crunch Protein Crisps provide all the crunch and satisfying taste of a regular chip but packed with protein. With 12 grams of protein per serving (2 servings per can), you can feel good about eating Power Crunch CRISPs."
While they primarily have pea protein (yay!) I later realized they have whey protein isolate, which my body really, really does not like.  If you can tolerate these things though, 12 grams of protein seems great.  They come in small cans a la Pringles. The shape of the chips is exactly like Pringles too, saddle shaped.  Each small can is listed as 2 servings, which ... is ambitious.  I think most people would finish one.
"The Power Crunch high Protein CRISPS are seasoned to perfection while also providing a light, airy chip-like crunch that’s impossible to resist."
I found it interesting that they call the chips "light" and "airy" as they were thicker and heartier than most chips.  They also broke ridiculously easy, despite being thicker, as they were just really quite brittle.  I tried 3 flavors of these (all but their 4th flavor, salt & vinegar), and found myself wanting to like them more than I ever did.  I wouldn't get again.
Barbecue.
I'm a barbecue chip girl to the core, always what I'll pick in a standard American chip flavors lineup, so of course I started with those.  

The chips were considerably more orange than I was expecting, making my brain think they were sweet potato chips, but of course they were not. They were crispy, and broke easily (hence the need for the can I guess?).  They certainly didn't taste like any normal chips, nor much like potato at all.  They didn't taste bad, just, different, and not familiar really.  Sorta healthy.

They were well seasoned with assorted savory spices, and did taste fairly barbecue.  They did have MSG if this matters to you.  I liked the seasoning. 

It took me a long time to figure out how I felt about these.  Well seasoned, good form factor, and great to get so much protein in a snack, but they weren't actually that tasty.  Inoffensive, and again, good for protein, but they won't replace the desire for a yummy snack. 3/5.
Cheddar.
I was going through a particularly cheesy phase of life, and the cheese flavor called out next to me.

They were much the same as the bbq: they broke easily, they tasted a bit odd and healthy, and they did have a reasonable cheesy flavor.  They were almost good, but the aftertaste and overall oddness just never made me really crave more.  Low 3/5.
Hot & Spicy.
The hot & spicy had some promise, but they looked the least visually appealing.  Again same overly breakable form factor, that was almost ok, same base flavor that was kinda off but almost ok, and another MSG laden seasoning mix that was almost compelling ... but under it all was just a taste I didn't care for.  Another very low 3/5.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails