Friday, October 25, 2019

Gardetto's Snack Mix

The Gardetto Family Bakery started in Wisconsin in the 1930s, specializing in bread sticks.  Their claim to fame however is a snack mix that someone made from leftover bread sticks and other items in a special blend of seasonings.  The snack mix took off and became so successful that General Mills bought them in 1999.  Yup, the owners of another popular snack mix you may have heard of: Chex Mix.  Since I love snacks, I obviously have tried it.

The mix is available in several varieties, and other versions have existed over the years, but all follow an "authentic family recipe".

Original Review: June 2016

There is nothing really homemade tasting about this to me, nor did I really enjoy it.
Original Recipe.
I tried the "original recipe", which I quickly learned isn't really that original, as General Mills has changed it several times.

The spicing is a clever mix made from dried Worcestershire sauce (that is a thing?!), MSG, sugar, and corn syrup, plus salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.

Ah, now that explains it.  Sugar and MSG.  I sorta doubt the authenticity of the "dried worcestershire sauce" though.

Anyway, while there was some mild seasoning, I honestly didn't taste much sweet nor salty nor tangy.  The pieces weren't plain exactly, but, not nearly as flavorful as this mix would imply.
Original Recipe: Components.
The mix itself contains 5 different items.

The pretzels were, well, pretzels.  No real difference between the rods or the classic twists, and these items in particular didn't have much spicing.  I separated them out and dunked them in peanut butter, and enjoyed them much more that way.

Next were the little "bread" sticks, in two forms.  These tasted identical and were just hard little bread sticks.  They had minimal spicing, more than the pretzels.  I didn't care for them.

Finally, the rye chips.  These were almost good, and did have caraway inside for some actual flavor, but, they also tasted kinda burnt.  Still, my favorite of the items.

Update Review, 2019

Every holiday season, I eat way too much of my mom's chex mix.  The problem is made worse (or, better, really), by the fact that she's taken to making *custom* batches for each member of the family tailored exactly to our preferences.  My version does *not* have Goldfish crackers, but my sister's has extra.  Mine also has all sorts of totally non-traditional snackies in it - wasabi peas, corn nuts, plantain chips, fried chow mein noodles, and more.  My cousin who can't have dairy has a version made with soy butter.  The list goes on and on.  The net result?  I have TONS of Chex mix, with exactly the things I love in it, that is all for ... me.  Thus I have to eat it all right?

Once my stash runs out, I breath a sigh of relief.  Until, you know, two days later, when I crave it again.  And in those cases, I attempt to fall back on commercial versions, like the ones made by Chex, or, Gardetto's, which I've also reviewed before.  I've never been satisfied with any, yet, when the craving calls ...
Original Recipe.
I don't like plain snack pretzels.  Of course my custom Chex mix doesn't have regular pretzels, it only has Snyder's of Hanover Pretzel Nibblers (in whatever variety my mom has on hand, usually honey mustard though, since I like those), and it has sticks from Pretzel Perfection (a gluten-free company actually, but I really like their products!), because apparently once I told my mom "I'm only willing to accept plain pretzels if they are Pretzel Perfection brand".  Oooph.  But she took note.  So these pretzels, both rods and braids, are not my thing at all.

The pumpernickel chips I almost like, good crunch, decent flavor to the chips themselves, but ... not much seasoning at all.

And then the other blond sticks, one kind with ripples but otherwise seemingly identical.  They have seasoning, and, I don't like it.

Dear self: stop trying this.  It most certainly isn't mom's, but it also just isn't anything you like.

1 comment:

  1. You can't taste anything. Everybody has an opinion. Dipping in peanut butter? Eeeww. You couldn't taste the salt. Go to a doctor.... High blood pressure or covid .. probably diabetes as well don't bad mouth gardettos . Nobody cares about your blog. Hence I'm the only comment.. seriously go to the hospital though.. that's seriously bad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails