Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Delicious Alchemy

Baked goods.  You know how much I love them.  But ... gluten-free baked goods?  Skeptical.  Or vegan baked goods?  Yup, skeptical.  Or, uh, British desserts actually being good?  Same.  All of the above are usually not my thing, as I'm #teambutter #teamcream and care about the texture of my baked goods ... and yet here I am, talking about Delicious Alchemy, a gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan health food company based in the UK that makes baked goods.
"As coeliacs, gluten free converts, foodies and fanatics, we know it can be hard to find delicious food without the gluten. That’s why we created Delicious Alchemy, a place for the most delicious food crafted without gluten, dairy or anything unsavory."
Delicious Alchemy is a pretty successful company at this point, just over 10 years old, with a product line that includes cereals, baking mixes, and porridge, but they previously made mini-loafs, rolls, pizza bases, cookies, and more.  They also produced a line for Sainsbury's.  Last time I was visiting London, I got a chance to try them out.
 Apple & Sultana Cookies.
To make my adventure with Delicious Alchemy even more amusing, the product I picked to try?  Apple & sultana cookies.  Add more strikes to the list: baked goods at the bottom of my list?  Yup, that would be cookies.  And worst thing to put in a cookie?  I'm looking at you raisins (sultanas).  And yet, here I was.

These ... weren't bad.  They had more of a "healthy" taste to them, much like an oatmeal raisin cookie, but one that isn't loaded with sugar.

However, they weren't exactly a health food.  The first ingredient?  Margarine.  Lol.  And there were no oats, even though my brain swore I tasted it.  The base was rice flour, maize flour, potato starch, rice starch, millet flake, dried egg, and coconut, which, somehow, my brain translated into oat, because that is the only similar thing it knew.

The cookie texture was crispy and a bit crumbly.  I didn't taste apple, but, there was puree in there I guess?  There certainly were not chunks of dried apple.  The sultanas were dried, and weren't offensive.

Overall, this was better than I expected.  I easily finished one, and hesitated before giving the second one away to a friend.  But, at the end of the day, I'm just not that into cookies.

Overall, honestly a surprise, and I think these would have a place in my life is as ... healthy breakfast cookies, just not as treats.

***.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails