Friday, March 04, 2022

Lola Snacks

#WELOVEURGUTS

Well, that's a slogan.  A memorable one.  And that of Lola Snacks, the maker of a line of plant based, gluten-free, probiotic energy bars.

Lola Snacks makes 5 types of bars, mostly almond based.  In their earlier forms, they had names after people, e.g. "The Nathan" and "The Enzo", but those names were dropped at some point for the more descriptive "Blueberry and Almond" or "Dark Chocolate Almond".

I tried a few and I was pleased with the texture, and thought they were almost great, but, the heavy hand inclusion of flax was too much for me.
The Nathan.
"Nathan's Lola Granola Bar is brimming with delectable blueberries and almonds."

This bar was confused.  It was way too sweet from honey to start, but then bitter on the finish from flax.  Only the middle moment of a bite was enjoyable.  

It had a nice texture, dense but crumbly if that makes sense.  Kinda nice for a breakfast bar.

I almost liked it, but the too strong honey and the too bitter flax ruined it for me.  Oh, the almonds and dried blueberries were second to everything else in it, so, those elements were pretty lost, and they were what I wanted to taste the most.

***.
The Enzo.
"Enzo's Lola Granola Bar is packed with hearty almonds and cashews."

The Enzo went much the same way as The Nathan.  It was almost great, but, for me, the flax ruined it.

I liked the texture and how it crumbled.  I liked the big chunks of almond.  I liked the sweet honey essence, it wasn't quite as overpowering in this one.

But ... it was all trumped by the bitter flax.  I didn't taste the cashew, nor find chunks of cashew in here either, so not quite sure where that element was hiding.

***.  This bar seems to have been discontinued.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails