Friday, October 30, 2020

Perkier Bars, UK

Yes, I often try random products while I travel, mostly so I can review them .. but also because of course I love trying things!

It was in London that I found Perkier.
"We're on a mission to make life a bit more perky!"
Well, that is a mission statement.  Perkier makes bars, but not granola bars, quinoa bars.  Oh so trendy.  
"Discover the savvy way to snack with our delicious, nutritious energy bars. From Salted Caramel, to Crunchy Peanut and Chocolate Orange, our vegan snack bars provides you with THE BEST natural perk-me-up!

Packed with up to 7g plant protein, high fibre, at least 40% less sugar than date based bars and under 160 kcals.

Always Gluten Free. Vegan. Proudly Palm Oil Free."

Yup, another line of healthy snack bars, vegan, gluten-free, yadda yada.   They also make protein balls and quinoa porridge.  I tried only one bar.

Peanut Quinoa Bar.
"Combines air-roasted peanuts, creamy peanut butter & crispy quinoa puffs to deliver a delicious taste, crunchy texture & a burst of nutritious energy."

"YAAS! Nut Lovers this is for YOU!! We combine roasted peanuts, creamy peanut butter & a sprinkling of sea salt.  Guaranteed to give you the nutritious energy boost you need, morning, noon or night."

I went through a peanut butter phase.  Loving everything I could get my hands on that was peanut butter based.  I ate lots of peanut butter based bars, my absolute favorites are the Perfect Bars, the simple peanut butter flavor ones, paired with a piece of creamy milk chocolate.  Or even better, dunked in chocolate ganache, or melted chocolate.  OMG.  I took to melting chocolate, coating the perfect bars, rolling them in cacao nibs, and storing in my freezer.  So good.

During this phase, I ate peanut butter cups every day, comparing and contrasting a slew of brands - Reese's, Unreal, Justin's.  I tried any new product I got my hands on that mentioned peanut butter and reviewed them all.

Like this.  A peanut quinoa bar.

On the surface, it actually did sound like something I might like.  Peanuts.  Peanut butter.  Crispy quinoa.  Sure! 

I took a bite.  I tasted ... sunflower seeds.  And dates.  And raisins.  These are not things I like.  And yet, they were the primary tastes, and actually, primary ingredients, all coming before peanut butter.  Boo, hiss.  "Peanut quinoa bar" ... was really more like "date-raisin-sunflower-soy crispies-brown rice syrup bar ... with a hint of peanut butter."

Boo, hiss. 

Bitterness at the poor description aside, I can say it had nice textures, decent distribution of goodies, and good size chunks of nuts, but, I wanted peanut butter, and peanut butter I did not get.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails