Tuesday, October 30, 2018

AS 307, First Class, SFO-SEA

Flight Details:
  • Departure: 1:25pm (scheduled), 1:55 (actual)
  • Seat: 1C
  • Meal: Snack
My first time flying Alaska Airlines First Class, but it was just a short 2 hour flight from San Francisco to Seattle.

It was ... fine?  Flight attendants were friendly and efficient.  The "meal" was better than I expected.
Red Wine & Warm Nuts.


Once underway, hot towels were offered and our drink orders were delivered (pre-ordered while on the ground).

I opted for the red wine, I'm not sure what it was, there was a choice only of red or white, no details given.  It was ... drinkable.  A table wine, not offensive, not too tannic at least.

I appreciated that the nuts were served slightly warm, and that the mix was well distributed between cashews, almonds, and pecans, nicely salted.  Fine nuts.
Turkey Sandwich.
The meal served was "snack", I was expecting just a snack basket, so I ate in advance.  This wasn't really a "snack" ...

I had a choice ... protein plate or turkey sandwich.  Neither actually sounded good.  The protein plate was sliced chicken, hard boiled egg, hummus, pita, apple slices, and grapes.  No cheese.  The turkey sandwich came with no sides, usually the only thing I like about the sandwich option on a flight.  Hmm.  Neither of these appealed, but the FA said the turkey sandwich was good, so, hey, I went for it.

It was a generous sandwich, two halves, both quite large.  And, shockingly, served warm.  I wasn't expecting that at all.  It actually warmed up really well, the bread slightly crispy and toasty, the fillings pleasantly warm, the cheese melted.  Huh.

The bread was fine, not stale, and the toasting worked wonders on it.  The inside of both the top and bottom was soggy, but in a way that I sometimes like, uh, yes, I like scraping out mushy bread.

On the side was a delicious herbed mayo that made me want things to dip into it, and some mediocre grapes.
Turkey Sandwich: Warmed.
The inside also was better than expected.

Decent amount of roast turkey slices.  I tried a bite of turkey, and yes, it was turkey.  Not my thing, but nice and warm.  The tomatoes weren't that bad, not mealy.  The dill was a nice surprise and added a ton of flavor.

And then, cheese ... sorta.  It was melted, not very generous, and mostly soaked into the bread.

So, overall, this was actually a decent quality item.  Not really my thing at all, but I found that I enjoyed the mushy bread I scraped out, with melty cheese, tomatoes, dill, tasty tasty herb mayo, and my own salad and snacks I brought.

If you actually like sandwiches, or turkey, this really might be a good one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails