Thursday, November 01, 2018

7 Days Soft Croissant

Packaged, shelf-stable, baked goods?  You know how I roll.  I'll try anything.

Like, "7 Days Soft Croissant".
"No1 CROISSANT IN THE WORLD! A wonderful combination of soft croissant pastry with a rich creamy filling that gives you energy to get your day going in the most delicious way."
Their marketing sounds great, right?  The No 1 croissant in the world?  Now that's a claim.  A claim that makes no sense, really.  Do they *really* think they are better than a fresh french patisserie? And I wasn't quite sure about creamy fillings, I mean, I love creamy fillings, but in croissants?

And what's with the name, 7 Days, anyway?  Do they last 7 days? (nope, they are frighteningly shelf stable for much longer).  Take 7 days to make? (ha, no, they are mass produced in a factory).  The answer: they are meant to be enjoyed 7 days a week.  You know, if you want to have a diet that consists of highly processed, high fat, high calorie, croissants *every* day.

Fortunately, 7 Days also makes a mini croissant "coffee's best friend" that might be a more practical daily snack.  They also randomly make bagel chips, and "pizzeti", bread chips baked with spices and cheese, basically, kinda like pizza flavors, just, snackable.  These too are supposed to be something you enjoy 7 days a week.

I tried only the full size soft croissants.  And ... they weren't bad.   Really.
Packaged Croissant.
"The classic choice for every day.  7DAYS Croissant, made with dough and rich filling, satisfies your hunger in the most delicious way."

Everything about this, from the outside, just made me laugh.  How good would this packaged, shelf stable for months, croissant possibly be?  And the fillings ... not exactly normal croissant fillings.  My choices were vanilla, chocolate cream, peanut butter crème & chocolate, peanut butter crème & jelly, strawberry vanilla, and caramel.

I selected the most interesting flavor from the lineup - peanut butter crème & chocolate, mostly because I was curious what this "crème" was.
Peanut Butter Crème & Chocolate: Exterior.
I opened the package to reveal my not-so fresh baked good.  However, I was drawn in pretty immediately.  Not by the look (kinda smooshed, obviously not flaky), but by the aroma.  It smelt buttery and delicious, and somehow, freshly baked.

To the touch though, this thing was very oily.  My fingers were left with a sheen to them just from touching it for a moment.  Soooo much butter.
Peanut Butter Crème & Chocolate: Interior.
I sliced off the end so I could see inside.

Here I could see a light brown center, and a darker brown around it.  Peanut butter crème and chocolate.  Ok.

Time to try it.  By now my fingers were slippery.

The pastry was better than I expected.  It did not taste stale.  It did not taste like plastic.  It was more bread-like than a real croissant, not flaky laminated layers, but, it was soft, sweet, and quite buttery.  Well, huh.  Not so bad.

The filling too was better than I expected.  The peanut butter crème squirted out when I squeezed it, so I tasted it alone first.  It was ... delicious peanut butter flavored crème.  I really liked it.  Tons of peanut butter flavor, but in a pastry cream.  The chocolate was thicker, richer, but not solid.  It took was like a pudding, just, a thick one.  Rich chocolate flavor.

I was pretty shocked at this point. Sure, not a flaky fresh croissant, but I liked the soft buttery bread, and I adored the filling.

But I had an idea.  It said clearly on it "DO NOT MICROWAVE", but it didn't say I couldn't warm it up another way.
Toasted!
Into my toaster oven it went, just for a few minutes, rotated halfway through.

This did magic.  The exterior really truly did get flaky, not just crispy from being toasted.  I couldn't believe it.  The pastry was now not only "not bad", but it was actually quite good.  And yes, still very, very buttery.  My fingers were quite moisturized at this point.
Melty!
And the insides?  OMG.  The flavors and consistency were good at room temperature, but once heated, the chocolate got all melty, and this was truly fantastic.

I adored this thing, and now I'm really curious to try more of their products.  Any flavor.  You know, as my daily snack, 7 days a week ...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I was having this delicious treat and wondering about the shelflife! I actually agree with your post and didn’t feel so silly after all about buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this product available now a days? I can only guess how its taste was.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails