Thursday, April 11, 2019

Guschlbauer, Toronto

When in Toronto, go to ... an Austrian Bakery?
Delivery Goodies: Mango and Durian Cheese Buns.
Yes, do it.  Now.  Or don't even go, just get it delivered.  As I did.  Because ... #amazing.

Ok, now I'll back up.

Guschlbauer is ... an Austrian bakery, started in 1919 in Austria, with locations around in Europe, Hong Kong, and Korea.  And, uh, Canada.  Known for the cheese buns.  But not cheese buns like you are thinking.  These are sweet baked goods.

I still can't decide which was my favorite.  The mango was wonderful, in a sweet fruity way, but the durian one delivered something else entirely.  I'd get them both again in an instant.
Delivery Packaging.
My delivery came in a branded bag, with the items nicely packaged.
Info Card.
In my bag was an insert with details on their most well known it:: the "Signature" Austrian Cheese Bun.

I'll be honest, they lost some cred as I saw this.  Did they really need to sell me on it at this point?
Full Menu.
A full menu was included as well, with the whole lineup of buns, cream puffs, and drinks, beautifully illustrated, not that I needed it at this point.

The drinks aren't available for delivery, otherwise I may have ordered one, all kinds of slush drinks topped with cheese foam.  The coconut redbean called out somewhat, as did the chocolate garden, and the butterfly lychee on was just downright beautiful ...

And, if I didn't have such a distaste in general for cream puffs (I just don't like choux pastry!), a lychee puff certainly would have found its way onto my order.

But I stuck with the buns.

Signature Austrian Cheese Quarter Buns 

The most famous of the buns is the Original, with "5 layers of cream cheese and bun covered with whole milk powder," but there are many others to pick from as well.  All are huge, "quarter buns", in that they are basically the size of 1/4 of a cake.  The are somehow light (from the bread) and rich (from the cream) all at once.  You probably really *should* share them, but I most certainly did not.

Most feature the original bread and cream in some form, just with additional ingredients, like fruity mango or mango passionfruit, the last of which has cranberries on top too (why?! Otherwise I would have gotten it!), but others mix up the bread too, the strawberry bun has a strawberry bread and filling, there is a slightly savory version with charcoal base bread and purple sweet potato cheese (so pretty!), and a chocolately creation too.

I was temped by the Original, really I was, but ...  I decided to skip that, and move right on to even more incredible sounding flavors.  I kinda wanted them all.  Including the durian.  

Spoiler: OMG THESE ARE AMAZING.  I'm so glad I ordered two, even thought that was way too much for one person, and I'm so glad I didn't share them.
Mango Cheese Bun. $6.20.
"Filled with two layer of mango cream cheese and mango chunks."

I opted for the mango flavor, since I love mango, and I figured this was a good safe option, in case my durian pick was not a winner.

I expected this to just have the plain original bread, the same original cheese filling, and chunks of mango, but the filling is actually mango cream cheese (which the description said, I just didn't read it carefully).

But, starting with the base, the bread.  It is a light, fluffy, sweet bread, much the style of Asian breads, and really quite soft and fresh.  Honestly, better than what I have at most of those Asian-style bakeries ...

And then, the filling.  It only took one bite before I was immediately impressed.  The cheesy filling is just downright delicious.  Quite fruity, mango forward, creamy, rich, thick.  Sweet from the mango, but also slightly savory, there really is a cheese flavor to it.  I loved it.  There were chunks of mango inside too, sweet and juicy.

Overall, this was just a joy to eat.  Soft, sweet quality fresh bread, delicious creamy rich filling, and I just couldn't stop eating it.  Literally.  I was slightly horrified when I saw how quickly it disappeared, when I planed to just have half of each of the two I ordered, and somehow nearly finished both, saving just a bite of each for my companion.

I think this is my second pick, but honestly, it is tied for first.  I'd gladly get it again, or even try the passionfruit mango one, cranberries and all.

Durian Cheese Bun. $7.80.
"The combination of durian and signature cream cheese makes Durian Cheese Bun extra Creamy and Tasty."

And then there was the durian version.  Durian is my recent obsession, and it seems I've really acquired a taste for it.  I still get a little scared ordering a durian item tough, as I brace myself expecting to hate it.

I opened the bag, clearly labelled "Durian", and, well, there was no question this was durian.  The smell was real.  Yes, durian.  I was excited and scared at the same time.

The bread is the same sweet fluffy fresh white bread, and I again liked it.  A great base for the filling.

And ... the filling!  This had the signature cream cheese filling, again, rich, thick, savory, cheesy, and just downright delicious.  I'm convinced now that the plain signature bun would be fantastic.

Integrated into the cream filling layers was the chunks of durian.  Decent sized chunks.  Soft.  Funky.  Yes, durian.

And much like the mango bun, I just couldn't stop eating this.  The durian was addictive in its own way.

This bun gets the *slight* edge over the mango, just because durian is more unique I think, but I really loved them both, just in totally different ways.  I'd get it again in an instant.
Guschlbauer Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails