Friday, September 03, 2021

Truly Good Foods Snacks

Truly Good Foods is a snack food manufacturer, that makes a vast array of mostly savory snack foods, ranging from nuts or dried fruits to sesame sticks, bagel chips, corn nuts, veggie chips, pretzels, soy beans, edamame, and tons, and tons, of mixes.
"We have been manufacturing fresh, high-quality snack mixes for 40 years. With over 60 unique blends that are blended fresh daily, there is a perfect snack mix for every business."

60 different blends?!  Yeah, that's a lot of snack mixes.  I clearly haven't tried them all, but, I tried a decent assortment.  And, these are good products.

They also have a retail line, distributed mostly in convenience stores, but every time I've had them, it has been in bulk.

Sweet

While the majority of Truly Good Foods items are savory, a number of the mixes will call out to the sweet tooth, with chocolate, marshmallows, sweet coatings, and dried fruits making a number of appearances.
Campside Crunch Mix.
"One taste of this snack mix and you’re transported to your childhood by the campfire.
A blend of honey graham toasters, chocolate chunks,  mini marshmallows and dried strawberries."

Honey graham crackers + bittersweet chocolate + white chocolate coated mini marshmallows + dried strawberries.  Oh yes. This stuff is totally addicting.

Mini marshmallows, coated in white chocolate.  Sweet, gooey, and my favorite component.  But wait, then there are chunks of bittersweet chocolate, good quality.  Great to alternate (or combine!) with the white chocolate marshmallows.  Second favorite component, or, wait, no, sometimes my favorite.  And then, just to add some chew, no, not awful raisins nor dried cranberries, but dried strawberries, bigger, chewier, fruitier.  Also my favorites.  The chocolate covered strawberry thing goes into full effect when you combine the strawberries and chocolate.  Plus, then you are having fruit right?

The only component I could do without is the honey graham crackers, basically cereal, but that is because I don't like cereal, nor graham crackers, so, this was never going to be something I wanted.

Overall, a wonderful mix, and very dangerous to have around.  Great to munch on, or use as a topping on ice cream or frozen yogurt.  I also later discovered that adding soy milk to it makes for a fabulous bowl of totally totally unhealthy cereal ... (in which case, I do appreciate the grahams in it at least?).

They also make a version of this called "S’mores and More", which has all of the same ingredients, plus peanuts (which we didn't have because, allergies). That sounds fantastic too.

This is one of my absolute favorites.
Sweet Caroline® (No Peanuts).
"What makes this mix so delicious? Just like the song (So Good! So Good!), this is a wicked good snack mix. Sweet Caroline® is a crunchy mix that makes the perfect sweet treat. It has honey roasted sesame sticks, butter toasted peanuts, honey roasted almonds, honey roasted peanuts, and banana chips."

This mix normally has peanuts, but, our version does not, sadly (I feel for the folks with allergies, I do, but, ... I love peanuts and wanted butter toasted AND honey roasted peanuts!).

It was ... fine.  But it really did feel like it was missing something - the sesame sticks were quite sweet (as you'd expect, honey roasted), the banana chips I mostly picked around as they aren't my thing, and the honey roasted almonds were fine, but, were also quite sweet, and I wanted them to be a more interesting nut.

It felt a bit one note to me, but was nice to sprinkle into salad (yeah, yeah, sweets and salads, not necessarily what you think of as a good combo ...).
Neopolitan Mix (mislabeled, clearly)
"Like the classic ice cream flavor, you get the best of all worlds.

Neapolitan Mix tastes like your favorite chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavors.  The snack mix consists of strawberry yogurt raisins, chocolate brownie bites and yogurt pretzels balls."

I'm a bit obsessed with this mix.  I first discovered it at The Lounge, Boston Logan Airport, Terminal C, of all places.  It looked like any other snack mix, likely filled with hard raisins (meh!), and flavorless yogurt coatings, but, it was so much more.  I later discovered that it is made by Truly Good Snacks Foods, so, including a review here as well, for completeness.

The white things are not yogurt covered raisins or peanuts, as I expected, but rather ... pretzels!  I loved them, crunchy inside and creamy coating, although not particularly "vanilla" flavored.  The pretzel ball inside is salted, so this burst of salt comes through once you bite in, which makes for a magic sweet and salty bite when combined with the sweet white yogurt coating.

The brown ones are *also* not just peanuts or raisins, but instead, chocolate covered brownie bites!  They were awesome combined with the pretzels, and pretty great on their own too.

The pink ones however *are* yogurt covered raisins, and they did not taste like strawberry as promised.  Meh to those.

Overall though, a winner, and I found it way too easy to devour handfuls of the non-raisins.  The perfect thing to munch on alongside your coffee in the morning.  Or for an afternoon pick-me-up.

[ No Photo ]
PB&J
"This mix brings back nostalgic memories of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

PB&J Mix® encapsulates that flavor with an added crunch. One bite and you’ll be hooked. PB&J Mix® includes PB&J flavored peanuts, cherry flavored cranberries, and peanut butter drops."

I really like the peanut butter chips in this, and kinda even like the cherry flavored cranberries, but strangely, the peanuts I don't like.  They are just ... plain.

But still, totally worth having around, just to pick out the peanut butter chips if nothing else.

Savory & Savory Mixes

But most of the 60+ mixes are savory, some even try to sound healthy.
Snacks!

Chia ReCharged Stix Mix (leftmost above)

"Chia is one of the hottest superfoods right now and this mix is a tasty way to get the health benefits.  Chia ReCharged Stix Mix™ is part of our ReCharge® line of natural snack mixes that contain antioxidant benefits. It’s a savory and sweet mix with chia sticks, cranberries, roasted and salted almonds, dark chocolate chunks, yogurt raisins, low sugar, no sulfur pineapple and white cocoa chips."

This was actually really good - despite the chia focus in the name, which I'll admit almost scared me away.

The almonds were nicely roasted and salted, above average, and had a nice flavor to them.  The chia sticks were extremely satisfying, crunchy, salty, and the chia flavor didn't bother me at all.  The dried pineapple and cranberries I even enjoyed for a bit of chew and sweetness.  The dark chocolate chunks were tiny but felt like "winning" a prize every time I got one, clearly good quality dark chocolate, and I adored the little white chocolate chips, pleasantly sweet, and I was thrilled they were white chocolate, not yogurt.

This blend really had it all - sweet, savory, crunchy, chewy, and I found it far, far, far too craveable and munchworthy.  The kind of snack you *don't* want to have around your house, for your own good.  Because ... it is perfect any time of day.  Early morning?  "Oh hey, it has fruit, totally legit pre-breakfast".  Mid-afternoon?  "Look, I'm responsible, I just need a little protein, it has almonds.".  In a slump?  "I just need a little sugar/chocolate boost ...".  Yup, it happens.

Dark Chocolate Energy Boost (middle above)
"Dark Chocolate Energy Boost™ is part of our ReCharge® line of snack mixes that contain antioxidant benefits. It’s the perfect midday pick-me-up with almonds, cranberries, low sugar, no sulfur pineapple, dark chocolate raisins, dark chocolate espresso beans, dark chocolate probiotic cranberries, and dark chocolate chunks."

Next up, a similar mix to the Chia ReCharged, another ReCharge line product, the "Dark Chocolate Energy Boost".  Much more chocolate forward, as you'd expect.

It contains the same well roasted flavorful almonds, sweet and chewy and not-too-dried out cranberries and pineapple bits, and slightly indulgent but tiny dark chocolate chunks.  But in place of the white chocolate chips and chia sticks, more chocolate components are added instead - dark chocolate raisins, dark chocolate espresso beans, and dark chocolate cranberries.

I could have done without the dark chocolate raisins and cranberries, as they just aren't really ever my thing, but the dark chocolate was good quality, and the slight chew the dried fruit inside added was pleasant.  I did enjoy the dark chocolate espresso beans quite a bit - amazing crunch from the espresso bean, and again, quality dark chocolate.

I prefer the Chia ReCharge, but, this was a satisfying mix as well.

Mustard Pretzels (rightmost above)
"A crunchy pretzel with a delicious, tangy mustard seasoning. A great anytime snack."Great coating, but, I'm not really a pretzel girl.

Update Review:
I loved these savory mustard pretzels in the airport lounge when I landed in Boston, perfect after a long flight.  Nice seasoning, good flavor, so salty, and apparently, what I was craving.  I didn't like them quite as much when I was leaving Boston, but, they were still flavorful and good.

Another Update Review:
For me, these are perfect near the end of a long flight, or, when arriving as I noted above. Somehow my body craves simple carbs, something to munch on, and salt.  I highly recommend getting these somewhere for your upcoming flights - I recently did, and about 6 hours into a flight I found them to be just the perfect thing to satisfy every craving I was having.

Wasabi Peas.
"These green peas definitely have a kick of bold flavor. They’re a great crunchy snack for a large crowd looking to be adventurous in their snacking."

Ok, wow, these had some serious kick.   I've had a lot of wasabi peas in my days, but these are among the most intense I've ever had.  I liked them, but I definitely encourage caution before you grab a huge handful.

Bartender's Blend.
"One taste of this snack mix and you can picture yourself sitting at your favorite bar stool, watching your home team.

Bartender’s Blend™ has something for everyone and feels as familiar as your favorite bar. A blend of roasted and salted peanuts, pretzels, rye chips, sesame and plain breadsticks, this crunchy and flavorful snack is the perfect choice for a bar or sporting event."

I almost sorta like this.  It has a bunch of things I like: rye chips, sesame breadsticks, good seasoning ... but trends a bit too plain, with the peanuts, pretzels, and plain breadsticks dominating in the end.

Honey Roasted Sesame Sticks.
"Honey roasted sesame sticks are crunchy and delicious with a touch of buttery sweetness. They’re the perfect mix of sweet and salty."

Average sesame sticks, crunchy, slightly sweet, not remarkable otherwise.

Giant Toasted Corn.
"These giant toasted corn nuts take snacking to the next level. The extra large size allows for more flavor and crispness that everyone will want to reach for."

Standard corn nuts.  Crunchy, savory, salted, but not remarkable in any way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails