Wednesday, June 16, 2021

La Fromagerie

La Fromagerie is a neighborhood cheese shop, wine merchant, and cafe, that I've been aware of for a while, but had only visited for pastries before (which, by the way, are fantastic, as they source from Neighbor Bakehouse).  This time I went out for lunch, to get takeout, due to the Shelter In Place.

Side note: Stuck doing a lot of pickup and delivery these days? Want to try some free food and new pickup or delivery services?  Here are some codes ...
  • Door Dash ($15 off, $5 each of your first 3 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Caviar ($20 off, $10 off your first 2 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Ritual ($6 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Delivery.com ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Grub Hub ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Seamless ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Allset ($5 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Uber Eats ($20 off - use code eats-lejw5 at checkout) [ Pickup or delivery ]

Setting

They have 3 locations, one quite close to my house that I have visited before in the morning, one in the Dogpatch, and one in the Financial District.

This visit was during the SF Shelter in Place, where the closer location was closed, so I visited the FiDi location for the first time.

Like the other locations, it is part retail cheese shop/wine store, and part cafe/deli.
Cheese Counter.
The establishment is called "La Fromagerie" after all, so of course they have a nice cheese selection.
Pantry.
And plenty of snacks to create a nice cheese board (cookies, higher end crackers, dried fruits and nuts, etc).
Wine!
And of course, what goes with cheese?  Wine!
"Kitchen."
The food is prepared in the open on the side, in a small kitchen, which is all that is needed for the small menu of salads and sandwiches.
Not Seating.
Normally, this table provides a dine-in experience for those who want to stick around, and there are tables on the sidewalk, but, alas, during Shelter In Place, it was takeout only.

The upside down bar stools were a nice touch.

Food

La Fromagerie is open for breakfast, lunch, and Happy Hour.  Breakfast is pretty simple with just a couple croissant breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal, granola, and aforementioned pastries from Neighbor Bakehouse.  Happy Hour is an equally simple affair, as you might have guessed, mostly just cheese platters (or charcuterie), and wine. They also do catering.
Lunch Menu.
The lunch menu is also not extensive: a handful of sandwiches, salads, and grilled cheese of the day (it changes daily).  No soups, no starters, just, the basics.
La Mancha (dressing on the side). $13.49.
"Kale salad, local smoked duck breast, Manchego (sheep's milk cheese from Spain), dried figs & fresh pear, toasted pumpkin seeds, apple cider & honey vinaigrette."

I got ... a salad.  Yup, a salad.  A fairly nicely crafted, but not exactly mind-blowing *sounding* salad.  Yet nearly every review I read of La Fromagerie is full of accolades for *this* salad.  I wondered how good it could be, but I have been on a smoked duck breast kick, so, I finally decided to try it out.

Normally it comes mixed, but I asked for the dressing on the side (in case I didn't like it), and, so I could save half, knowing it was quite large.

Well, I understand why everyone raves about this salad.  It was definitely one of the best salads I've ever had.  Seriously.  It was expertly crafted, every ingredient coming together to create something so much better than the individual components.

Fresh, juicy chunks of pear.  Chewy dried figs.  Crunchy pumpkin seeds.  Salty manchego.  Lovely tender smoked duck breast.  A solid, generous base of crisp kale.  And the most addicting apple cider & honey vinaigrette ever.  Salad perfection.  Simply put.

Any of these ingredients alone would be pretty boring, and not really my thing to be honest.  Pears, sure, they are fine, but not something I seek out.  Dried figs might be better than raisins or dried cranberries, but again, not what I seek out (fresh figs on the other hand ...).   And I never opt for vinaigrette style dressings (I had my own creamy aioli based dressing with me to use instead actually! Always prepared!).  But wow, when combined, it all just worked.

I loved this salad, lauded it, and truly enjoyed it.  The portion was massive, hard to tell in this photo, but the container was quite deep, and entirely full, ingredients all provided in quantity.  Easily two meals.

I'd get this again, clearly.
Side Salad. $3.99.
My next visit, I ordered the "side salad", to go along with food I had at home.  I was shocked when I picked up my order.

The menu simply said "side salad", but this turned out to be a mini version of the La Mancha salad I had loved so much (just without the duck).   To say I was thrilled was an understatement, given that I had declared that salad one of the best I'd ever had.

It was the same ingredients as before: fresh torn chunks of curly kale, pieces of manchego, sliced dried figs, diced pears, and a scattering of pumpkin seeds.  All the elements of crunch, sweetness, juiciness, etc that I had loved before, just, without the duck.  Same addicting dressing too.  The pears in particular were standout, sooo juicy and fresh.

I really enjoyed my pleasant surprise of a side salad.

I remarked at the incredible value and size of salad when I got the full size salad, and I felt the same way about this one - amazing value, this "side salad" was as big as some regular starter or even main salads other places.  Absolutely worth the $3.99, and then some.

****.
Side Salad. $3.99.
Update: I have gotten this *many* more times since discovering the joy of this <$4 side salad.  I mean, really!  It is ridiculously consistent - large pile of kale, chunks of pear (sometimes apple), chopped dried figs, scattering of pumpkin seeds, chards of cheese (that I now order on the side, just in case I want to use them for other purpose), tasty dressing.

Always a reliable winner. ****.
La Fromagerie Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails