Thursday, May 18, 2023

Stella Pastry

I lived in San Francisco for 17 years before every trying something from Stella Pastry.  As a dessert, and baked goods, fan, I don't really know how this is possible.  Stella is likely the most famous of all the old school North Beach bakeries.  They don't have flashy, or remotely innovative, items, but, the Italian classics?  Stella is famous for them.  Basically "everyone" claims Stella has the best, ranging from the tiramisu, cheesecake, eclairs, and layer cakes to the signature rum based sacripantina.  

So even though I didn't try anything for 17 years, I've certainly be aware of Stella.  I've even stopped in a few times just to gawk at the goods, but, yes, it took me this long to finally, finally try something.  

This "visit" wasn't even technically a visit, as I actually ordered on DoorDash, when I saw Stella Pastry show up as an option to DoubleDash, that is, to add on to my other order from another nearby business for no additional fee.  It was like the online version of impulse grabbing candy in the grocery store checkout line.  It caught my eye, I clicked, and next thing I knew, I had a glorious dessert headed my way.

Side note: Stuck doing a lot of takeout and delivery these days? Want to try some free food and new pickup or delivery services?  Here are some codes for free money!

  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Door Dash ($15 off, $5 each of your first 3 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Caviar ($20 off, $10 off your first 2 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Ritual ($6 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Delivery.com ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Grub Hub ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Seamless ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Allset ($5 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Uber Eats ($20 off - use code eats-lejw5 at checkout) [ Pickup or delivery ]
If you do visit in person, the first thing you'll notice is the display cases, loaded with goodies.  They make it easy to eat with your eyes, and want, well, everything. 
Cheesecakes / Tarts.
The cheesecakes at Stella really look incredible.  Huge slices, and they look, well, perfect?  Classic NY cheesecake, with or without fruit (strawberry or blueberry, on the bottom).
Cakes.
The case continues with a variety of layer cakes, including the signature sacripantina (top right).  Some of the chocolate ones look incredible too, and the cream horn was quite tempting to me as well ...

Napoleon. $7.75.
"Puff pastry layers with custard filling and a fondant glaze topping."

The item I tried from Stella Pastry was super random on my part.  After years of hearing about the sacripantina, and after countless times myself drooling over the cheesecake, somehow it is the napoleon I ended up getting.  For some reason, I just got it in my head that I really wanted crispy puff pastry and cream.  Nothing else would suffice.  So random, as I've never been one to go out of my way for a napoleon ... 

Also, while Stella is very much an Italian bakery, and they called this a napoleon, I think it is technically more like a French mille-feuille ... as it had custard filling (rather than the almond cream that is usually in a napoleon) and had the fondant top?  It followed the traditional form of two thick layers of custard with three layers of puff pastry, and a vanilla and chocolate fondant top.

The portion, like all the goodies at Stella, was quite generous, a very large slice.  It was cracked on top, likely due to transport, as I had it delivered.

It was a good napoleon.  The custard was perhaps a bit too sweet, but it was rich, thick, and very good.  There was a lot of it.  It was a heavy custard, no question.  The pastry in the middle was a touch soggy, but, it was 8pm when I had my treat, and it was likely (hopefully?) made that morning, so, it makes sense.  The fondant glaze on top was also very sweet, so, together, it was sweeter than I was expecting or wanting actually.

So, certainly a good item, likely better when a bit fresher.  It trended too sweet for me at the time, so I paired it with fresh raspberries and strawberries, which was quite perfect.  I suspect it would go amazingly with a coffee or after dinner liquor as well.

I'm glad I tried it, and it inspired me to want to try more items from Stella, but I likely wouldn't get this again. ***+.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails