Thursday, May 25, 2023

Victoria Pastry

Princess cake.  Not a very commonly found item.  But in San Francisco, there are two bakeries both very well known for their princess cake: Schubert's Bakery and Victoria Pastry.  Both have been on my radar for years, but, somehow, I didn't visit either for the first 17 years I lived in San Francisco.  I know, I have no excuse, particularly as I adore desserts and baked goods so much.  The only princess cake I think I've actually had in San Francisco before was from Miette, where it was good, but I wasn't into their marzipan. 

But in 2022, I finally sought out epic princess cake, from Victoria Pastry, located in North Beach.  Victoria Pastry is a San Francisco institution, as its been around since 1914!  It is famous for the princess cake, and well regarded for other items, although many seem to prefer Stella Bakery, just down the street (which, I reviewed last week).  

Display Case.

I'll admit, looking at the display cases, the items at Stella looked just a touch better.  But it is hard to wlak by either without being tempted (although, I somehow lived her this long before finally trying their goodies!).

This "visit" wasn't even technically a visit, as I actually ordered on DoorDash, when I saw Victoria Pastry show up as an option to DoubleDash, that is, to add on to my other order from another nearby business for no additional fee.  It was like the online version of impulse grabbing candy in the grocery store checkout line.  It caught my eye, I clicked, and next thing I knew, I had a glorious dessert headed my way.

Side note: Stuck doing a lot of takeout and delivery these days? Want to try some free food and new pickup or delivery services?  Here are some codes for free money!

  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Door Dash ($15 off, $5 each of your first 3 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Caviar ($20 off, $10 off your first 2 orders) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Ritual ($6 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Delivery.com ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Grub Hub ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Seamless ($10 off) [ Delivery or pickup ]
  • Allset ($5 off) [ Pickup only ]
  • Nextdish: ($10 off your first order) [ Delivery only ]
  • Uber Eats ($20 off - use code eats-lejw5 at checkout) [ Pickup or delivery ]
If you do visit in person, the first thing you'll notice is the display cases, loaded with goodies.  They make it easy to eat with your eyes, and want, well, everything. 
Princess Cake. $7.75.
"Vanilla sponge soaked in a triple sec with a layer of raspberry jam, vanilla custard, and whipped cream draped with green marzipan."

Ok, so, I'll cut right to the chase.   One forkful of the cake and I immediately understood why people rave about this cake.  Simply put, I don't think princess cake could possible get better than this.  It really was, well, perfect.

The layers of sponge cake were remarkably light and airy.  The bottom layer, soaked in triple sec, made it even more moist.  Flawless sponge, really.

And then, the whipped cream - it too was very light, fluffy, and, for lack of any better way to describe it, very, very fresh tasting.  Under the middle layer of whipped cream was a layer of thick custard, almost hard to detect, but it added a touch of richness.

The thin raspberry jam layer added a fruity and sweet element, and the marzipan a lovely almond accent, and additional sweetness.

Each element of the creation was executed perfectly, and together it combined into a dessert that ate so well - it didn't feel too heavy despite the cream layers, and it didn't trend too sweet despite the fruity jam.  All in balance, and all just as good as it can possibly get.

I truly savored and enjoyed every bite of this.  If you like princess cake, clearly, you must seek this out, but even if you don't, or think you don't, it is worth a try.  Really, stunning.

****+.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails