Monday, November 22, 2021

Nature's Path Toaster Pastries

"As pioneers of the organic movement, we believe organic food and farming is the best way to care for our bodies and for the planet."
Nature's Path is a brand of organic, fairly natural products, mostly breakfast items.  Over the years I've tried many products from Nature's Path, generally the cereals.  I do really like their Heritage Crunch (Heritage Flakes with bonus granola clusters!), but cereal never seemed blog worthy.

I recently tried their Toaster Pastries and was pleasantly surprised.  Enough to write this up.

Toaster Pastries

"Our toaster pastries let you snack happy knowing they are made with real fruit and always free from nasty preservatives and high fructose corn syrup."
Nature's Path makes toaster pastries in a variety of flavors.  The healthiest are the unfrosted basic fruity flavors (strawberry, blueberry, apple pie), all of which are also available frosted, but there are plenty of other more unique fruity frosted flavors available too (like cherry pomegranate, wildberry acai, and razzi raspberry), plus a couple more decadent sounding options (lotta chocolotta, Mmmmaple brown sugar, pumpkin pie).

While I wouldn't call these wholesome breakfast, they actually aren't awful for you, not loaded with chemicals like their Pop-Tarts counterparts.  ~200 calories, 4 grams of fat, 2 grams of protein (20 grams sugar) per pastry.  The first ingredient is wheat flour (whole wheat flour comes later), and next is cane juice.  No high fructose corn syrup, nothing too scary, actually.

I've tried several flavors now, liked them, and would try others flavors.
Frosted Buncha Blueberries Toaster Pastries.
 "Deliciously organic, frosted and naturally flavored with real organic sun-ripened blueberries."

I started with the "Buncha Blueberries".  I first tried a bite untoasted, to best evaluate.

It tasted kinda like a graham cracker with some blueberry jam on it.  A bit dry.  The amount of icing was meager.  These were clearly not Pop-Tarts.

"Meh," I thought, but put it into the toaster oven anyway.
Toasted!
It was much better when toasted.  I, uh, forgot to take a photo of the toasted one until I came up for air when I had almost finished the second one.  Ooops.

These do not taste like  Pop-Tarts.  Let me just get that out there.  If you want to taste a Pop-Tarts, this is not for you.  And, I'll admit it, I do like Pop-Tarts.

These are entirely different.  The crust tastes ... wholesome.  Healthy.  Sorta like a soft graham cracker.  Not like pasty chemicals like Pop-Tarts (that again, I, uh, do like).

The filling tasted like blueberries.  Sweet, fruity, a paste, yes, but again, not all chemical-like.  The icing was still pretty thin, but it was better when a bit melted and warmed up.  I'd still prefer more glaze, but, this added some sweetness that I enjoyed.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.  These fit far more into the breakfast category than regular Pop-Tarts, and I wouldn't really be able to call them dessert unless I dunked them in whipped cream, or used them as cookies for an ice cream sandwich.  (Oh come on, you think this way too ... right?)

***.
Frosted Wildberry Acai.
"Frosted and naturally flavored with real organic sun ripened wildberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries." 

Next I moved on to the trendy sounding wildberry acai.  I was a bit skeptical given the mix of other things in there, particularly as the first fruit listed in the ingredients is apples.  Then raspberries, strawberries, etc. Acai powder falls near the end.

I didn't need to be worried.

Yes, these are a healthier style toaster pastry.  Whole wheat flour, and a slightly hearty taste to the shell pastry.  At room temperature, they do trend a bit too "oooh, yeah, that's trying to be healthy" end of the spectrum.  But once toasted?  Really not a problem. 
Toasted!
They toast up perfectly.

Warm pastry, crisp exterior, perfectly iced.  I loved how generous the icing was on these, but not overwhelming. 

Inside, a great fruity mix.  I would never identify these as acai, but, they were fruity and tasty, and quite enjoyable.  I'd gladly get these again.

****.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails