Thursday, November 25, 2021

Petit Pot

Pudding, pudding, pudding.  Glorious pudding.  One of my favorite desserts, so much so that my blog even has a label devoted to it.  I obviously had my eyes on Petit Pot, a local pudding maker, from their early days.
"France knows a thing or two about decadent desserts, and Petit Pot offers all of that delicious tradition in a convenient, petite jar. This delightful dessert is naturally gluten free and made with the best organic, local ingredients. With reusable jars and sustainable packaging Petit Pot is a treat you can feel good about enjoying."
At first, Petit Pot was fairly hard to find, definitely struggling to carve out this niche of higher end pudding.  Ok, not even pudding, it is french style, pot de creme.  Compared to the industry standard shelf-stable Snack Packs (which, sometimes can be quite satisfying!), these require refrigeration, but do have a shelf life of close to 1 month (!).  Eventually they were offered through Good Eggs and Munchery, and then ... they really took off, and became available at Whole Foods. 

I watched the product line expand to include more flavors, introduce a vegan version, offer up cookies for a while ... and now, I think they have stabilized on pretty solid product, for when you want your pudding just a touch less fake tasting, but don't want to prepare it yourself.  The rice pudding remains my favorite.

Pot de Creme

"Let’s talk about pudding for a second. Why? Because this is not some gelatinous powder-in-a-box pudding. This is a delightful blend of age-old French pastry practice with modern California culinary flourishes. We made all the sweet, velvety goodness of crème with the decadence and consistency of custard for a delicious, single-serve treat that’s potted to perfection. Now, all you need is a spoon."
The ingredient list for these puddings is really quite simple: milk, cream, skim milk, sugar, pectin, and salt.  This makes sense, as, well, that is all you need for pudding, but I expected to see more stabilizers, preservatives, etc.  I don't quite understand how they can have a month long shelf life if really just made with the same ingredients I would have in my kitchen.  Does that mean my pudding could keep for a month too?

Petit Pot makes 4 standard varieties (vanilla, chocolate, salted caramel, lemon cream), along with seasonal specials (yup, pumpkin spice, definitely a thing), and a vegan coconut milk version.  I've tried several.

The puddings come in little reusable glass jars.  I'll be honest: some of the draw for me to buy the pudding in the first place is so I can have more of the jars, such a great size.
Vanilla Pot de Creme.  $3.95.
"Nothing plain here. With Madagascar Vanilla and a rich texture, this work of art belongs in the Louvre."

The first flavor I tried was the simplest: vanilla.  Nothing fancy, but, pudding doesn't need to be fancy.

In addition to the base ingredients I mentioned above, the vanilla flavor has vanilla in two forms: vanilla extract and vanilla bean powder.  Nothing else.
Inside the jar: Vanilla.
I eagerly opened my jar of pudding, er, pot de creme.

It was ... fine.  A thick pudding, with visible specs of vanilla bean (from the powder?), and ok vanilla flavor.  But, really, nothing special.  I'm not sure what I was expecting though, vanilla pudding is, well, vanilla pudding.

I really wanted whipped cream, or some caramel to drizzle over, or something for some texture ...

Fine, but not particularly more awesome than say ... a Snack Pack.  Yeah, I said it.  ***.
Seasonal Special 2015: Maple Honey Pot de Creme. $3.95.
"Petit Pot made a special recipe just for you at Munchery to celebrate the holiday season! Made with organic milk and sugar, this Maple Honey pot de creme highlights the flavors of fall and is, of course, potted to perfection"

Next I tried one of the flavors developed just for Munchery, back when Petit Pot was a staple of their menu.  My choices were pumpkin or maple honey, and I was feeling a bit sick of pumpkin at the time, so I opted for maple honey, even though the idea of both maple and honey in the same dish seemed a bit unnecessary.

As with the vanilla, the ingredient list was simple, the same base ingredients, plus, you guessed it, maple syrup and honey.  Nothing else.

This one I liked more than the vanilla.  It was still very plain obviously, just the pot de creme, no texture from a crumble garnish, no whipped cream, no fruit compote, etc, but these things I could easily add.  It was also sweeter, which I guess you'd expect, given the honey and maple syrup.  However, I didn't taste maple nor honey really.  This was good in some ways, as they didn't compete, and just created a nice sweetness, but, I did also actually want to taste at least one of them, as I do enjoy both honey and maple.

The texture seemed a bit better too, firmer.  Certainly not "pudding", almost more like the consistency of a custard or flan.  I think this is because the recipe actually uses only egg yolks, creating a richer, custard-like nature?

Anyway, I enjoyed this, and quickly devoured my "petit" little pot.  If you wanted to jazz it up, I think some fresh sliced figs or a fig compote, or crumble gingersnaps would go quite nicely.

***+.
Seasonal Special 2016: Pumpkin Pie.
"Petit Pot made a special recipe just for you at Munchery to celebrate the holiday season. This traditional pumpkin pie recipe is now a pot de creme, spiced and potted to perfection!"

The next year, I decided to try out the pumpkin pie special. 

The flavor of this pudding was good, nicely "pumpkin spiced" with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, strong in the spicing, but not overwhelming, and balanced.  The pumpkin flavor was also good, it had real pumpkin puree in it.

But ... the texture was not.  It was gritty in a really strange way, I guess from the pumpkin?  It was also not as thick and creamy as I'd like.

So, good flavor, but not a winner for me overall.

**+.

[ No Photo ]
Dark Chocolate.
"Silky and decadent. Hello, ultimate treat. Elegant dark chocolate, creamy texture, and oh so French."

Last but not least, I tried the dark chocolate.  Another simple, classic pudding flavor.

It had a creamy, fairly light chocolate flavor, not too indulgent.  It tasted like what I always want a Snack Pack to taste like, aka, mild chocolate, no plastic aftertaste.

This didn't blow me away, but it was good.

***.

Riz Au Lait

"A delightful combination of naturally gluten free, organic and local ingredients, our Riz Au Lait is made to make your taste buds dance with joy. We hope that you enjoy every spoonful!"
After making only pudding for the first few years, Petit Pot expanded the line slightly, to include rice pudding.

I was thrilled, because I like rice pudding just as much smooth pudding, because I appreciate the texture.

It is available in only two varieties (for now? hint hint), classic vanilla and a non-dairy coconut milk version.  It is a winner, and I hope they keep it.
Ritz Au Lait.
"Creamy Rice Pudding with Madagascar Vanilla Seeds."

The Petit Pot jar changed shape slightly since the last time I ordered, now with a tapered neck, but otherwise, this was the same concept.  I really love these reusable jars, although this one was slightly less practical, as several of my spoons don't fit in easily!

I started with the classic vanilla.  Almost the same ingredients as the vanilla pudding, except a lighter offering, no egg yolk, since it isn't actually a custard.  And of course, with rice added.  Again though, simple ingredients (cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, sea salt), nothing scary in here.
Ritz Au Lait: Inside.
I was prepared to need to jazz this simple flavor up.  I expected that I'd need to sprinkle on some cinnamon, chop up some nuts perhaps.  I had strawberry compote ready to stir in.  Fresh fruit nearby.  Fresh whipped cream on hand.  I was ready to "save" it in whatever way I needed.

It looked, and sounded, too simple.

But I did try a spoonful straight from the jar first.

It was great.  Creamy, not too thick, not too runny, not gloopy.  Just right consistency. 

The rice was well cooked, not al dente, not mushy.  Again, just right.

The ratio of rice to pudding was perfect, slightly more pudding-forward than standard rice pudding, but I liked it that way.

And the simple flavor?  Yeah, it *was* simple vanilla.  But the vanilla flavor was deep, and the sweetness level was again, well, just right. 

I added some of the fresh strawberry compote because I had taken the time to get it ready to mix in, but honestly, preferred it plain. 

This item is perfect, just as it is (although I can imagine that perhaps I'd get sick of it if I had too many jars, and finally decide I want to add something to it).

It was gone far too quickly.  It *is* a "petit" little pot.  Certainly smaller than a normal serving of dessert for me, and I did need to follow it up with more dessert.  But if you are a normal human who cares about portion control and minor indulgences, at only 150 calories per jar, it really is quite reasonable offering.

****+.

Petit Box Cookies

Petit Pot expanded outside the pot to ... the box!  The box of cookies that is.  
"We adapted the famous French butter cookie (sablé) and fused fresh local flavors baked to a satisfying crisp. Garnished with a touch of Fleur de Sel, the most premium French sea salt, these tasty treats tickle your tongue with the perfect combination of savory and sweet."
They made three varieties (chocolate, vanilla, and lemon).  I received a box as a sample to try out.  These products didn't last all that long on the market though, and are no longer available.
Yes, a box!
Like the pot de creme isn't just "pudding", these aren't just "cookies".  They take a French spin, rather than a classic American cookie, more like a sablé.
Cookies Inside.
Each box contains 6 mini cookies, packaged into two batches of 3 each.
Inside the Box.
The box doesn't just give you cookies.  It also brings you entertainment.  Fun facts, games, and collector panels featuring different characters.  I'm not sure I really understand this, but, it was cute, and a surprise to see when I opened my box.  Do people really collect these?
Mini Chocolate Cookie.
By now you likely know that I don't actually like cookies.  Even fresh homemade ones.  Puddings I adore, but cookies ... yeah, never my choice.

But I still tried these, made with 70% dark chocolate.

And, for cookies, packaged ones at that, they were quite good.

Crazy buttery, as you'd expect from a sablé base.  Rich chocolate flavor, they really tasted like brownies.  Crumbly texture, very easy to break apart (and make a huge mess with).  I loved the little cocoa nibs inside (or maybe they were tiny chips?).  Whatever they were, they added a nice texture contrast and crunch.  I didn't taste the promised sea salt at first, but, then I found it on the finish.  It left a really nice flavor as an aftertaste.

So, overall, still cookies, still hard-style, packaged cookies, but great flavor and texture.

***+.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails